Steering Wheel Lock Plate Removal -- Need Help!

OhMonte

Most of the parts places around here will rent/sell/loan you the tool to take that off. You pay a deposit on it that equals to buying it so if you forget to return it it is yours. It is not hard to use once you have it assembled on the car and just reverse the process for re installation. I bought one because I had the steering wheel of of my 72 5 times since my wife bought me the car 2 years ago.

I just replaced the turn signal cam. As leghome said, rent the lock plate removal tool. It will press the lock plate in and then carefully remove the clip. I used two very small regular screwdrivers to unseat the clip and remove it. Again be careful or the clip will pop off. Change the cam and put on the same way. very simple and took maybe 20 minutes.

I made a tool that works for that years ago. It was crude, but it worked! Took a flat piece of steel and bent it like a wide U and cut a hole in the center for the steering shaft to go through. Tightened down with the steering wheel nut just far enough to unseat the plate from the clip. Tore down a lot of steering columns with it.

Tool is definitely a must have since thatxclip is a bugger of its own. That plus normally pressing on the plate is setting up for failure and aggrivation.

I bought the tool. This is a typical "3 Hour Tour" of a project. My turn signal mechanism was cracked inside and I have a brake light out on one side. (Turn signals, bulbs, etc are all fine). I have to replace all of this guts so I'm ordering the whole deal that includes all of the wiring, etc.

I temporarily reassembled everything and didn't screw anything up worse than what I started with. Sort of. I reassembled the canceling cam, eyelet, and spring in the wrong order. Now when I turn the wheel in either direction, the horn blows. At least you can hear me coming around the corner!

I found the diagram I needed for the sport steering wheel and horn assembly, so I can fix that pretty easily.

My wife is still laughing about the "turn signal" horn thing.

I bought the tool. This is a typical "3 Hour Tour" of a project. My turn signal mechanism was cracked inside and I have a brake light out on one side. (Turn signals, bulbs, etc are all fine). I have to replace all of this guts so I'm ordering the whole deal that includes all of the wiring, etc.

I temporarily reassembled everything and didn't screw anything up worse than what I started with. Sort of. I reassembled the canceling cam, eyelet, and spring in the wrong order. Now when I turn the wheel in either direction, the horn blows. At least you can hear me coming around the corner!

I found the diagram I needed for the sport steering wheel and horn assembly, so I can fix that pretty easily.

My wife is still laughing about the "turn signal" horn thing.

That's how you learn these little things. (I think it's funny too) lol

Pretty funny Joe, reminds me of hanging out in my garage when i was younger,we used to take a section of wire, stripped at both ends, pull out a turn signal bulb, wrap the one end of the wire around the socket and reinstall the bulb. Then, we would wrap the other end of the wire around the horn terminal. We would hear the person at the end of my street as soon as they turned on the turn signal... Every time the bulb flashed, the horn went off.