rusty floor replacment

jacob

A factory Vinyl Roof don't rust. The vinyl will rot away and the top will still be fine. Its when another top is put on on, and people try and save material and not properly prime and paint the top, then scuff and glue the vinyl top back down.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 3 montes for the price of one I'm using the body off the best one on my cars chassis... Pretty much switching body's the new body had some rust in the top and floor where the other body I was going to use needed new quarters new trunk floor new top the outer wheel house rusted away from the quarter panels in places. I payed 1500 for another running driving car that I traded body's with and 2 incomplete parts cars witch I will be using one car to fix the top and the other has some nice trim parts.

If I'd would have knew that, I would have sold you a 72 Big Block Body with NC Title to go on your frame, all this car needs now is the Trunk Floor, tail panel and Rear Window Channel.

• 2 weeks later...

What primer and paint do you guys recomend I want to paint the under body the same color as the body. witch I have decided to do bluestone metallic it's a toyota highlander color and I just fell in love with it. I want it to be tough and look great I don't want it to chip or crack and more importantly no rust. cool

What primer do you recommend using on the under body I've heard of ppg DP90 epoxy primer being a good primer for the under body any opinions.

Any major manufacturer's epoxy primer would be good or POR15 in black Semi gloss is another good option. With POR15 no activator needed and you can use a brush on it and when it dries it is smooth like it was sprayed. At around $47 a quart it is a little less costly.

Yeah I've used por 15 you have to be sure to degrease and use there metal prep or that por 15 won't stick unless you get it on your skin. Could you prime the under side of the car scuff it and then use por 15 and a uv protectant? That way if the uv gets chipped off or the por 15 gets scratched or what ever it has a long way to go before it can reach bare steel and you could do body color over the por15.

The POR 15 is not a UV protectent it must be top coated. I used it on my frame when I had the engine out tow years ago and it still looks as it did on application. no UV rays hit the bottom side of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

What do I need to do to be able to remove the inner rockers and braces the reason I ask is that the outer rocker and inner rocker sandwich the floor pan. The braces are just about ready to come lose the 4 spot welds on each end are all thats holding the first two braces on. also im wanting to be able to weld the cleaned up braces and inner rocker to the floor pan and then weld it in as one piece floor bracing and inner rockers. I have taken a few measurements nothing has moved so far do I need to do more bracing or need a frame jig to to remove the braces and inner rockers?

What would move if you were to take out the braces and inner rockers? I was thinking it would be best to get the braces and inner rockers welded to the new floor that way it will go in as a single piece thinking that would be easier to install and weld. And while I had the inner rockers off I could clean and por 15 inside the rockers.

Would removing the inner rockers and braces need additional bracing or need to be on a frame jig would like to remove the inner rockers and braces and clean them up and weld them to the new floor and then install.