rusty floor replacment

jacob

Rust strikes again we knew the top had big holes in it and knew the floor had some rust. Now that the carpet has been removed along with the rest of the interior the rust is far worse than we expected. If we were to replace the entire floor what would be our best options? The bracing looks good ( no rust holes just dirty )so we could reuse them right? Any thoughts or concerns I can post pictures and any tips would be helpful. grin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jacob, Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully chime in here but I've been told that the best replacement is the aftermarket 1 piece replacement floor.

I look at it this way....1 hole or 10, replace the whole thing and never worry about it again. smile

Oh yeah that's how I feel about it do it right or do it over where would you get a one piece floor and how is the shipping? I have now gotten around to doing some real welding so I think I can tackle it.

How bad are yours Jacob? I had one spot in mine that I replaced. There were a few spots after wire wheeling that I found pin holes. I sand blasted them and brushed on some fiberglass resin. I then put three coats of rustoleum on the floor. Not sure if this is the best repair but I don't plan on driving it in the rain or snow.

What other places have a full floor pan I know luttys and opgi do you know of any other places?

Shop around.. indeed there are different outlets out there. One that knows the market well is Leo.

Goodmark!

Dynacorn

I have cut the large spots of rust out 6 spots total ... pretty much all of the lower portions of the floor where water settled have rusted away and there's some serious pitting around those areas and pin holes. The rust hole on the drivers side toe board was big enough you could put your fist though. after I had cut the rust out into the shiny stuff I had a couple good piece of floor from my parts car and I did an overlap patch on it. I know its not right but I did get to practice welding and there's no problem cutting it out since I didn't pay any thing for it but that does not fix the other 4 holes. I just need to replace the entire floor.

Best place to buy close to you and me is Kimbrell's Paint and Auto. Small business and the best prices around. 864-578-7775

Ask for Brett. Tell him Jared sent you. They will most likely have everything in Stock.

They are located Exit 75 off I-85 in Boiling Springs, SC.

Best place to buy close to you and me is Kimbrell's Paint and Auto. Small business and the best prices around. 864-578-7775

Ask for Brett. Tell him Jared sent you. They will most likely have everything in Stock.

They are located Exit 75 off I-85 in Boiling Springs, SC.

Local will save you a ton on shipping

Being close to National parts depot(charlotte, NC) and Ausley's chevelle(GRAHAM, NC) I would call them up and see what the going price of floor pans are. Keep in mind the floor pan for a Chevelle is the same as a Monte. If you get left and right full floor pan they will from from the toe plate on the fire wall to where the back seat is and will need to be welded in the center on the hump. A one piece floor pan is made but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get in the car as it goes from still plate to still plate firewall to back seat. Since your braces are good paint them with rust proof paint before putting the pans back in.

Hi Jacob...I have the exact same project to do also...Although I have to replace the trunk floor also..2 quarters and all wheelhousings..

I have purchased 1" tubing and will be bracing the door cavity from footwell to the backseat and from side to side in a criss-cross pattern. My wife calls it project swiss cheese.

Availability pressed me to purchase the whole floor with rockers my tab for this was around 1100 for the one piece..but I'm sure that price would be alot cheaper south of the border (everything is).

I think better to brace the hell out of the car than having to fix a twisted body to fit a floor pan

Cheeers... good luck.. and post some pics as my searches for a repair like this has had no results at all.

Bill

So do bracing even if I am not removing the rocker panels thanks and I will definitely post pictures I'm already saving for the floor so shouldn't be to far away from starting this project.

I think it is a wise move ..even if you didn't end up needing to...piece of mind will pay for itself

After the job is done you can convince anyone that it was something you had to do and took a precaution to ensure success...

like I tell my little ones...Its better to have done it and not needed it than having to wish you should have ...no matter

3 pices of 1x1 - 20ft = 75.00...success = bragging rights (priceless)

I was told that the one peice floor wont fit in the car and has to be cut in half anyhow so be carefull. I would ask him again but he passed away last year so I cant. He was having it done at a body shop and they told him it wouldnt fit in the car through the windows. I guess they work in chevelles but have to be cut to fit in Montes check with the mfg. first.

if your gonna get the one piece floor pan..it wont fit into the car with out cutting it in half. Question..do you need a whole floor..where are the holes cuz you can buy sections..and the sections from opgi are pretty darn good size..the go from the door to the trans tunnel so it all depends on where ur rust is..cuz buying 4 sections or the one piece..the shipping is about the same..ijs

The holes are every where under the rear seat, where you put your feet in both the front and rear and there's pinholes under where the bench seat was. The vinyl top cracked sat in the rain where it rusted out then water got in the car the carpet acted like a sponge and rusted that out ... its amazing what sitting for 10 years does to a car.