Build Thread 1972 Monte Carlo

omar

Finally decided to join after lurking around the site for info for my 1972 Monte Carlo.

Plans for it is to swap out the 350sbc for a stock vortec 454 with a carb set up and headers. Hoping to get the weight down to about 3600-3700 lbs without driver, I know the added weight of the Big Block aint going to help much lol

Haha yeah it is pretty rough, car was sitting in a garage since 1988, lucky for me the car came with all the parts, previous owner took off the bumpers and etc to paint it but never got around to it and time flew by him and many years passed. It has under 53,000 miles and the interior is all there all it needed was a cleaning. I got it running as well no misses or funny noises. The reason for the differnt color hood and driver fender is because the originals had small dings on them and the guy who had it also had 5 other monte carlos from 70-72 that he aquire through out the years that we would use for parts for the monte I now own smile

[you said a naughty!] that isnt rough at all Looks like a great starter and looks to be very solid......

this was rough LOL

January_22_2001_2.jpg

January_22_2001_4.jpg

January_22_2001_5.jpg

Sorry not trying to hijack thread but your idea of rough and mine are a little bit different LOL smile

Omar car looks great and it will make one nice ride when your done.... 3600 wont be hard to get too

BowtieThunder: Dang that is rough lol your car is a beast now so it was well worth it.

Thanks for the welcomes grin

There are a lot of beautiful MC on here hope to learn a lot from you guys. For now my goal is to have a beater looking Monte Carlo to run 13.0-13.5 for the Texas muscle car club challenge thats consistent for bracket racing shifter

Omar, Welcome!

I checked out the pictures it is really dusty but looks pretty solid.

You should be able to get into the 13s with that big block you are going for.

Welcome Omar. I wish you good luck and enjoyment with your build. The guys here on the boards will help beyond belief. Just remember,...take your time, think it though, and do things right the first time around even if it means saving a little extra cash to accomplish your goals. - Dave

• 1 month later...

Just a little update of small things I've done over the winter. Ive relocated the battery to the trunk on the passenger rear and ran the 0 gauge wire thru the inside and drilled a 3/4 hole on the floor pan to run the wire out from a pre existing whole. Ive removed the heater and ac components from the fire wall and ordered a Detroit Speed a body heater/ac delete panel and assembly my vortec 454. I played around with the idea of using my electric dual fans from my ls1 fbody the keep the bbc cool.

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I posted but I changed directions on my choice for engine. I'll be swapping in a supercharged LSA 6.2 CTS-V engine into my Monte Carlo. Ill be copying SuperChevys Connect and Cruise LSA chevelle build. In the next couple of days I'll be posting pics of the engine assembled and installed on the Monte.

post-1205-0-97863800-1433004728_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-33067500-1433004818_thumb.jpg

Hooker ls swap mounts part # 12611HKR and Energy Suspension Motor Mounts part # 31117R

Just testing to see if the whole picture appears on the thread.

post-1205-0-13331200-1433292479_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks big. I'm diggin that grille. Did you buy it or make it?

Also a little update on the project. I installed a junkyard 4l80e with new seals, filter, gasket and shift kit. Oh and the correct flywheel for the LSA to 4l80e swap. Now I gotta find out if I can reuse my stock crossmember.

post-1205-0-91858200-1436153834_thumb.jpg