1970 bb headers

V8Freak

I know there's a header subject ready started and I don't want too hijack it. I have a 70 monte with a 1970 ls5 454 with original oval port heads. I just pickup flowtech ceramic header for it he couldn't find anything specifically for my car so we whent with Chevelle. They do not fit, passenger side hits control arm drivers side look lime it will do the same thing and both seem even if they worked will run right into the tranny crossmember. They are longtube. Anyone have experience with this? Would love peoples 2 cents you guys are really helpful

I don't know about the flowtech's I have hooker 2455's on mine, just need to re-locate the brake proportioning valve

you need to remember that monte engines are set-back on the crossmember approx 4" compared to a chevelle

I could see having too relocate that don't overly want too but... So mine is also a 4 spd so I have a shift fork.... And you didn't hit the lower control arm? Just wanna make sure second times a charm

I bought a set of used big block Chevelle headers when I first bought my car and they hit in the same location as yours. I now have 2" Hooker Comps, and as Sam mentioned, you have to move your proportioning valve. I bumped mine to the top of the frame and was able to use the existing brake lines.

Mike

I have Heddman headers on my big block. I think 1 7/8 don't remember the part number sorry. But they fit with no problems and didn't have to relocate brake valve. I have an early 1970 that was originally a small block.

So is your car auto or 4spd and it is a big block? Did you use long tube or shortys?

If you are referring to me, yes big block and I went with long tube. Really no issues at all other than what I mentioned above.

Mike

I have flow tech headers on my 350 they fit alright I had to beat on them some because of my angled plugs. if your using a regular starter you might have to file down the corner of it I took my first starter back and got a performance mini starter great clearance.

I have Long tube Hooker Headers on my Big Block. I didn't move my brake proportioning valve. But I did have to un bolt my steering shaft from the steering box and remove the shims to the upper control arm to move the control arm out of the way to get the header to fit. then bolt it all back up.

I have Long tube Hooker Headers on my Big Block. I didn't move my brake proportioning valve. But I did have to un bolt my steering shaft from the steering box and remove the shims to the upper control arm to move the control arm out of the way to get the header to fit. then bolt it all back up.

I too have Hooker Competition Headers on my Monte and did not have to move the proportioning valve and have had no problems with my Brakes. I got around the driver side installation issue as described above by unbolting the Motor mount on the driver's side and raising the Motor up approximately 1-2inches. The Super Competition series will not work and is not listed as fitting the Monte Carlo. Just because it's an A body doesn't mean it will fit our application. The Motor in a Monte Carlo sits differently in the frame.

• 2 weeks later...