Duplicolour engine paint

V8Freak

Hey I'm just wondering I painted my engine gm orange a year ago and have been finishing up putting parts on it. Seems like everytime I bump it with something hard like my headers it chips mad so frustrating. Engine was hot tanked and everything so it was nice and clean. I feel like this shouldn't be happening but heard guys say it's hard too get any paint too adhere too cast blocks. Also been told had too get run and get got too cure paint.any guys have experience with this? I'm not taking everything apart at this point was just curious

You are just going to deal with it, CHIP Happens! Get a artist brush spray some paint into the can lid let it set up a little and touch up. After all time the paint should be cured.

I don't use rattle cans anymore, I go with PPG epoxy primer then base and clear. It holds up good but it is not for everyone.

Maybe on the next one try some etching primer on the bare block. the paint may get a better bite.

The paint on this block has been on two years

DSC00730.JPG

It does not unless there are different types of Duplicolour which is definately possible. I'm probably getting too anal about the car. Frame offs are not cheap I now realize lol. This car makes me feel like I have ocd lol

I had a friend years ago that did a nice epoxy paint on his engine ...mixed and done with a spray gun and everything. It looked great. The downside was that it smelled like paint every time the engine got warm, and the paint seemed soft when it was hot. Maybe the newer paints don't have this problem, but it plagued him as long as he had he car. It wasn't any paint designated for high-heat use, just standard automotive epoxy paint...maybe it was the umpteen coats he put on?

Not sure, but it was annoying to him as engine paint is like a commitment.

I have used Por 15 orange and it holds up excellent. On my last 2 I used etching primer from a rattle can and then a high temp orange from a rattle can. Very impressed. DId it to my son's car 4 years ago and he can blast it with a pressure hose and it looks great. I just use Acetone on a rag prior to the etching primer.

I actually used por15 engine enamel paint on the engine and intake. By far the best thing I've used. Haven't cracked, chipped anything. The last time I used vht engine paint and had the same problem. The intake doesn't yellow from fuel or coolant. I do recommend like everything prep is key. I personally stripped all old remaining paint with a wire wheel and scuffed the parts I missed with sand paper. I then sprayed everything with Eastwood fast etch. It preps your metal, in this case block to be painted. You will know it working because it will turn it a darker grey. After you leave it moist with fast etch for 20mins I completely wiped it down with Eastwood Pre which removes any chemicals or waxes left on your surface. I then painted with por15 with a first coat and waited until it got tacky and the second coat made it perfect. That was done about a year ago and even with overheating problems not one chip to be found smile

I used Eastwood high temp ceramic red. It went on great with a brush with no runs.Several thin coats ended up like this. The camera flash makes it lighter than it really is.

[img:left]http://Motor2_zps4be6049a.jpg[/img]

Beter view

[img:left]http://PaintedEngine_zpsda190204.jpg[/img]