Converting auto too 4spd

V8Freak

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the parts place and luttys chevy has these handles too

that is the console handle, but to work with a Hurst shifter will require some modification

So if I went with that handle I would obviously need this too?

http://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1970/drivetrain/shifters/C210040/

and you would need a four speed crossmember too, the mincie shifter bolt to the crossmember not the tranny like a hurst, your best bet would be the hurst shifter and hurst handle, it's a better shifter anyway

I used my original muncie shifter only because mine is all original car, or I would've used a hurst shifter or went to a 5 speed with overdrive

and you would need a four speed crossmember too, the mincie shifter bolt to the crossmember not the tranny like a hurst, your best bet would be the hurst shifter and hurst handle, it's a better shifter anyway

I used my original muncie shifter only because mine is all original car, or I would've used a hurst shifter or went to a 5 speed with overdrive

And your thinking it will be far enough too the right too work properly with my 4spd console hump with that tiny little opening? Just triple checking you sound like you know your stuff

Not sure if you've gotten there yet, but the starter is different for a standard.

The starter is different?!? Why would that be? I already have a starter out of a late 90's early 2000 truck bred right in lighter and more power

Jegs has your hurst shifter also for 10 dollars less. So summit says it won't work with a centre console but jegs says it will with or without console and no modification required but says for a 452/453 Muncie doesn't say m21 is there a difference?

Originally Posted By: ripleydale
Not sure if you've gotten there yet, but the starter is different for a standard.

The starter is different?!? Why would that be? I already have a starter out of a late 90's early 2000 truck bred right in lighter and more power

As I remember, the nose into the bell housing is smaller than the automatic. If you have a starter that's fitting on your motor and into the bell housing, you're fine.

Jegs has your hurst shifter also for 10 dollars less. So summit says it won't work with a centre console but jegs says it will with or without console and no modification required but says for a 452/453 Muncie doesn't say m21 is there a difference?

Matt, I've purchased the Hurst shifter & linkage kit that Sam mentioned earlier but I was having the same questions about the reference to 452/453. I had called Hurst and found out that the 452 is the M20/1 and the 453 is the M22. If my memory hasn't failed me! I have it written down at home but just call them, they were very helpful.

I don't know about your engine/transmission combo, but the original Monte 4-speeds were all shipped with an "iron nose" starter. I don't know if they are dimensionally different, but I have read and heard that such a starter was considered absolutely necessary for 4-speed applications of that era. I am not sure of the reason but I have heard it has to do with "extra strength to withstand kick-back". There may be other/better reasons, as well.

A couple years ago, I bought a Powermaster mini-starter that the Summit on-line catalog said would fit my factory 402 with a manual transmission - it didn't - wrong bolt pattern. In the process of trying to change it out, I verified that my factory starter did have the "iron nose". Fortunately, when I re-installed the original starter with clean mating surfaces, all of my starting problems vanished and it continues to operate perfectly after 42 years!

a manual tranny starter is different

don't trust what Jegs or Summit say, call Hurst and talk to them

if I was going to put a hurst shifter in my car...that's the one I would order

but also if I was doing a tranny swap like you, I would be looking for a 5 speed

You guys ROCK!!!! And you 2 especially have been a lot of help and it's extremely appreciated!!! Definately not what I received, I checked their part numbers and there the same for Chevelle and monte so that's no good, I'm suprised their getting away with that. Doesn't make any sense since I now know that the engine sits back 4" more then a Chevelle thanks too Sam for that info

Hey Sam-Dennis, have you guys noticed what I think I have noticed ?? Thats Not a Muncie 4spd with a Hurst set up…….. unless my eyes deceive me on the lack of bolt applications where the shifter bolts up to….Thats a Saginaw Tranny and the Hurst shifter not only won't work but the tranny won't either That Tail shaft looks rather long… when I did my 4 spd conversion on the 70 chevelle which you and I walked through Sam mine was a piece of cake and didn't look like this and the 4spds I have worked on for Vaughn's 2 4spd Montes one being a Hurst shift and the other a muncie didn't look like this set up either………. unless its the cheap Meds I am still on this is my 2 cents worth…

Darren.

441saginaw_zpscb6f3394.jpg451muncie_zps104b30b5.jpg452muncie_zps3d74b7cf.jpg

Last two pics are Muncie the first is Saginaw…..

The set up thats in there now looks like its a 1966 or 67 Saginaw that would work perfect in a 66-67 chevelle which you remember that goofy console had that J hook in the console to accommodate That Hurst Shifter…..

Hey, Darren, great to hear from you!! Hope those "cheap" meds you're on are controlling your pain ... they sure haven't affected your eyes! Good catch on the Saginaw transmission! I guess when Matt originally posted that he was converting his Monte from an auto to a 4-speed we all assumed it was a Muncie M20/M21 and went from there. Shows why it is always dangerous to assume!

Matt's photo of his transmission and shifter base (below) clearly shows the single threaded boss on the top of the tailshaft that the shifter is bolted to as being a Saginaw (or at least NOT a Muncie) transmission.

SaginawTranny_zpseeddf407.jpg

On the other hand (although the photo is taken from under the car looking up), you can clearly see the rear, unused, threaded boss on the tailshaft of the M20 in my Monte (lower right corner of photo).

P3012409.jpg

Just comparing the mounting locations on the transmission images shown in your post, it is clear that the same shifter base would sit about 1 inch higher on the Saginaw than the Muncie. That is probably the explanation of the interference Matt was experiencing with the "standard" transmission hump he bought.

I don't know (and I haven't done any research) if any Saginaws were installed by the factory in '70 or '71 Montes. If there were even a few, there should be some combination of shifter and hump that allowed installation with a standard console. If not, it would appear that Matt is in need of a "non-standard" solution for his conversion.

Thanks for sharing your insight on this, Darren. As usual, you're the best! Hope you are feeling better soon.