M20 conversion has begun!

Murphy

On the one I had, I remember the firewall pad had a perforated circle to push out to allow the rod to pass thru. The same pad was used for an automatic car. Check your pad for the perforations.

Dan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the assistance guys, figured it all out and have it installed, I was originally thinking I only needed about a one inch hole for the rod going thru the firewall. After looking over the boot and the mounting plate and matching it up with the bolts on the column plate, I could see that I needed a 2.5" hole for the plate to fit as it has a flange that extends thru the firewall. Off to Home Depot for the correct metal hole saw bit. That was some tough drilling! But a little filing and it was perfect.

P3170193_zpsa473a353.jpg

This shot was from under the car looking up between the firewall and the inner fender.

P3170194_zps4c96707d.jpg

Here's the mostly finished product............

P3170189_zps7a43f142.jpg

Well, I'm almost finished! Took the Monte for her maid 4-speed voyage and WOW! I Love it!

Yesterday morning I finished up the pedal install & linkage and then discovered that I didn't have any free play with the throw-out bearing! Removed driveshaft, crossmenber, and tranny (again) adjusted the pivot ball in the bellhousing to give me the recommended 1/4" gap between bearing and the preasure plate fingers. Put it all back together, including exhaust and called it a day. So this morning I'm double checking everything, nuts & bolts & springs, etc.....Took her down from her jack stand perch fired her up and after a minute of rattling & tapping everything smoothed out (she hadn't had oil in her for 6 weeks). Slid her into 1st gear and rolled out the garage, then into 2nd gear, then into 3rd........I'm grinning from ear to ear!

Tomorrow I'll be dropping her off at my buddies place to weld in the hump so I can finish with carpet & boot. On the next project...........

P3230189_zps791c2ce5.jpg

A little extra emblem to show-off my work!

P3230190_zps7398888b.jpg

Yes there is an adjustable rod but the fork was tight against the front opening of the bellhousing, I couldn't get the throwout bearing off the fingers without adjusting the pivot ball.

Congratulations, Murray!! Man, when you put your mind to doing something .... you get 'er done! Nice job! Enjoy!

While all this is fresh on your mind, are you going to write an illustrated "How to" manual to share? I'll bet there are some others that have thought more than once about doing that conversion but didn't know where to start.

BTW, my clutch fork now has a boot ... thanks again for pointing that out.

Before:

IMG_1066_zpsdb8c55c4.jpg

After:

Clutchforkboot_zpsb2a4434b.jpg

Yes, an instruction document has been in the works, I've been taking lots of pics to incorporate. One issue is that my install is not factory correct but I can still give some insight so people don't need to remove their bellhousing 5 times or their trans 3 times or get their drive shaft balanced twice due to an oversights. But it's fun, I really enjoy it. Keeps me out of the saloons!!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally, installed the last 2 parts to complete this project. Shifter boot ring and the correct speedo driven gear. If you look back at previous posts you'll see the condition of this pot metal boot ring, local plater did a great job.

P4270195_zps1be43e6b.jpg

P4270196_zps33669584.jpg

I need to put all my notes and photos together properly for a journal Thanks for all the insight from the club!

Congratulations, Murray! It looks fantastic ... bet you have a big wide grin now, especially when driving your Monte!

Hope you can find time to do a journal ... it will be worth its weight in gold to anyone doing this conversion for the first time!

The very first mod I did after getting my 4-speed was to ditch the round shifter knob and install a T-handle, but I know that is personal preference. Enjoy!!

The very first mod I did after getting my 4-speed was to ditch the round shifter knob and install a T-handle, but I know that is personal preference. Enjoy!!

and I don't like "T" handles lol