Direct fit headers

ClassicJJ

I have to ask....where did you buy your fuel lIne from....I need to buy some.

I bought it in pieces from Summit and made it to fit. Also used the same style of line and fittings on my trans cooler lines.

So I tried to remove the old headers....The three bolts under the car....no problem. The eight on the head???? No way. I can't get a wrench or a socket on the ones that are on the inside bends of the tubes. Do I have to cut these off or remove the heads to get at the blots? And 11mm? The only metric I found on the car so far. Can't believe they are metric though.

Hi Glen. They are actually 7/16". 11 MM is just a hair tighter than 7/16", and may work better in this case since they are hard to remove. You have to use the opened end of the wrench. The key is, having a high quality wrench. I have been a mechanic for 38 years, and I can tell you there is no substitute for quality tools. Especially when it comes to wrenches. So get a quality wrench( Snap-on, Mac, or even cornwell). If you don't have one maybe you can borrow one. Take your time and make sure you can get all of the wrench you can on the bolt before loosening. Just don't get excited, PATIENCE is the key. Hope this helps. smile

Hi Glen. They are actually 7/16". 11 MM is just a hair tighter than 7/16", and may work better in this case since they are hard to remove. You have to use the opened end of the wrench. The key is, having a high quality wrench. I have been a mechanic for 38 years, and I can tell you there is no substitute for quality tools. Especially when it comes to wrenches. So get a quality wrench( Snap-on, Mac, or even cornwell). If you don't have one maybe you can borrow one. Take your time and make sure you can get all of the wrench you can on the bolt before loosening. Just don't get excited, PATIENCE is the key. Hope this helps. smile

7/16 is to loose. I will definitely strip the bolts with that. I got the 4 on the passenger side out on the outside of the bend on the tubing but the inside bends will be really hard to get at.

ditto

a crapsmen wrenches aren't worth squat!

if you are just going to scrap the old headers you could cut them off as close to the head as possible, say with a saws-all or a cut-off wheel, it would make getting those bolts out way easier

ditto

a crapsmen wrenches aren't worth squat!

if you are just going to scrap the old headers you could cut them off as close to the head as possible, say with a saws-all or a cut-off wheel, it would make getting those bolts out way easier

If I cut the tubes off to get at the bolts I would need to scrap the heads?

My neighbor has some high end tools... All I have is craftsman.

I took a crapsman 7/16th's box end wrench and ground the box wall thinner to get it on the head of the bolts. Now I have a specialty wrench LOL. I put 3/8th's head bolts from summit back in and it was still a tight fit but much better than the 7/16th's.

I took a crapsman 7/16th's box end wrench and ground the box wall thinner to get it on the head of the bolts. Now I have a specialty wrench LOL. I put 3/8th's head bolts from summit back in and it was still a tight fit but much better than the 7/16th's.

That's a good idea.

I have ARP header bolts with a 5/16 head they fit great even where the pipe turns and use some anti-seize on those new bolts helps getting them in and out and won't burn up.

Well I got the headers off with out cutting, I used Larrys idea for modifying a craftsman closed end wrench. Worked great! On the down side I tried to install the manifold and wouldn't you know it's the wrong manifold. The one they sent me was for an 87 Monte!!!I just cant catch a break!.....Now am wondering about locking header bolts. Good idea or waste of money?

Try grade 8 fasterns its a company that makes locking grade 8 bolts there really cool and more than strong enough and you can get them off if you need to. and use antizees on the threads helps getting them back out and it keeps water from getting to the threads so they wont rust.

• 2 months later...