Connecting Rods:-Chevy Heavy-Beam

Connecting Rod Bolts:-Pioneer

Heads:-Cast Iron [Pre-1986]

Camshaft:-Roller - .502 Lift - 220/224 Duration

Lifters:-Hydraulic Roller

Crankshaft:-Eagle Steel

Rocker Arms:-Pioneer Long Slot Performance

Block:-1-Piece Rear Main

Timing :-Cloyes/Melling i am trying to use a power adder ( nos, super charger, ect.. what would you recommend?

I have to agree with Sam. The hypers are a good piston for a normally aspirated build. They are quite and stronger than cast, but the strength comes with some brittleness. A lot of the time the rings are placed too high for spray.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

cam ,cylinder heads, intake carb getting the right combo will maximize horse power and torque. check around with edelbrock AFR dart and some of the other big companies they could get you every thing you need to make more power.

10 to 1 with factory Iron heads, what fuel are you running? That cam duration, is it gross or at .050 lift?

Do you know the part number of that piston?

my thoughts are... 500hp with stock heads and what you have stated would be nearly impossible

A TRUE! 10:1 compression, iron heads and pump gas may give you trouble with detonation depending on your cam and ignition timing

an if i swaped the pistons.. would i be able to run a power adder?.. im trying to get a little more power out of the motor. i thought i would be good with 100 shot of nos but after reading a few other forms an from what u guys are telling me i dont see this happening

Nick,

What are your goals?

You are now talking pistons and possibly heads. What carb is on your setup? What gear and converter?

500 hp is a lot of snot for a N/A 383! Are you willing to accept some street drive ability issues?

I love making horsepower but it does come at a cost!

I can't believe I'm saying this, being diehard s/b guy :), but you could sell the the 383 and use that money to offset the purchase of a b/b. A mild b/b would make an easy 500 hp and a butt load of torque( Needed for our land yachts to get moving) and still be very street friendly. Just a suggestion. Here is a builder who gets it done and lots of positive reviews. http://www.vortecproperformance.com/engine_combinations.html Pick your poison. grin

I'm one of those that dared to be different and ended up with pretty stout s/b which IMHO is street friendly and runs on pump premium.

David

Been there, done that. I had Hyper pistons in my first build and that (like yours) was the weak link in the assembly. There really isn't anywhere to go once that decision was made.

I ended up getting an engine built by Mark Jones as linked above. I started with one of his street-friendly builds and had him upgrade with roller cam and Mahle pistons. I have been real happy with what he put together. At the time I was limited by a stock vacuum brake booster, and required an engine with good idle vacuum... most of his engine combos didn't have that.

I since changed the vacuum brake system to a hydroboost type, so idle vacuum isn't a concern anymore...now I wish I'd opted for a more powerful engine package. What I got however has worked without issue and is probably the most flexible engine I have run. She dyno'd at 560hp, 600tq...at 4000rpm.

• 3 months later...

ok guys so i think im going to swap out my Speed Pro Hypereutectic pistons for some forged ones... an run 150 hot of nitrous.. im trying to get to 500 hp. its right around 400. could i get to 500 with bolt ons?. maybe swap the heads an beef up the top end? let me know what u guys think

Some people have been known to spray a 100 shot on a bone stock engine with cast pistons, the folks that do it say a 100 shot won't hurt anything, I'm not gonna try it LOL.

I have KB Hyper Pistons rated to 750 HP in a Big Block, so they are very good, when you're 15 with little money you do what you have to do to save every dime you can. It was good enough for an estimated 600 HP and low 7s in the 1/8 mile with no effort of tuning suspension or the carb, or plugs etc.

Over 5 years and still running great. Had I had my time to go over I would have went with Forged Pistons and a few other things but again I sunk every dime I made selling parts in the car below from 15 to 17 years old, but hindsights 20/20.

Now thinking of a few upgrades here in the near future, but I'm back to kind of the way it was when I was 17, no full time job, only difference is I have BILLS now. lol

Basically do what you can with what money you have, and have fun!