Short water pump hose on big block

Canuck

Is the little short hose that goes from the water pump to the intake a special pre-bent hose or can I just cut any hose to length?

Hi Aaron, hope all is well with you. I think originally they had a slight molded bend , if I remember correctly. I remember that when I worked in a garage in the late '70s throughout the '80's , the bypass hoses were the ones that blew first, most of the time. My car has been replaced with what looks like a straight old piece of hose. I'm sure someone that is more up on it than me will chime in.

Check these Aaron ,They are saying ,Molded on 65-68 cars PRT # CPH-1658 . non molded and ribbed 69-72 prt# CPH-1672

www.SS396.com (Groundup company)

I've heard that the molded ones was for the short water pump.

My 427 crate engine had the short pump and a molded hose but I changed to long pump and a straight ribbed hose,the molded one I don't beleived would worked because of being off set.

Terry

I guess I should clarify. I have the stock water pump (ie not the short one). When I said "short" I was referring to the hose itself being short.

Sam, Are all the short WP 's like the ones on the Gen 5 crate engines,it had 1 nipple for the moulded short by pass hose right in line with the intake nipple,and the other nipple for the heater hose was down closer to where the lower rad hose goes on,just curious smirk

Terry

I guess I should clarify. I have the stock water pump (ie not the short one). When I said "short" I was referring to the hose itself being short.

lol

I was going to reply earlier but I misread it as you had a "short water pump" that was not stock. Now that I understand I replaced mine with just a short piece of straight hose...I do remember it was very hard to get on though.

Originally Posted By: Canuck

lol

I was going to reply earlier but I misread it as you had a "short water pump" that was not stock. Now that I understand I replaced mine with just a short piece of straight hose...I do remember it was very hard to get on though.

Yeah! The hard part once on was getting it to bend without collapsing hose at the bend. I just kept turning each end of the hose once on until I found the right combination of twists to make bend almost correct. You will want to be pretty exacting on hose length to get a good fitment without hose being to long. Better slightly shorter than longer as I remember!

Doug