Big Blue finally got to the track

72 LS5

3 years after dropping the 502 in ol' Blue, I got to the track last night. I'll give the numbers first, then all my excuses after crazy , in case anybody wants to read further coffee2 . The specs are .030 over 502, balanced, 10.6, Eddy Performer heads, teenie-weenie zz502 cam (527", 544", 224, 234), air gap, 4181 850 dp, 2400 converter, 3.31 posi.

1st pass: 12.3 @ 113

2nd pass: 12.05 @ 113

3rd pass: blew the tires away

The weather started out in the high 70s but did dip below 70 by the second run after sunset. On the first run, the car was still hot from the hour drive at 3200 rpms to get there. My ET Streets are very old, so I came out soft with 1.9 60 ft, and then I got plagued with my tach issues as it reads 800 rpms high. Well, at the track, it decided to read like 500 or 600 high and I bounced off the limiter.

Then on the second run, I bumped the timing to close to 40 and I came out harder with a 1.7 60 ft. I shifted earlier and still hit the limiter a little on both gears. I need to install a shift light!

On the third run, I jetted the rears up one step but had staging issues. The car in front of me got the green so I got in the water box to start my burnout. As I'm burning out, I was easing out the box to let the tires grab and some guys in the staging area were filming the previous car and I didn't want to chance the car jerking to the left and hitting them mad . Not only did I redlight, but I also blew the tires away - probably due to the incomplete burnout. Wish I had more time but we got there late and some dude blew a motor, so only got 3 runs. I wanted 11s bad cry.

MonteTrack_zps9226051e.jpeg

I think 11s will be easy with all your woes you had. My first time out I ran 8.3 in the 1/8 mile. It dipped to 7.40 so far, I would of had a 7.3 one run but let out at first cone, dummy me.

Easy 11's with the mph you have. I am running 11.8 at 114. A couple more times out and you will have a better idea what your car is capable of... cool

Bill - are you running the ZZ cam in yours too?

Yes, stock cam is still in the motor...actually my entire motor is untouched right out of the crate...well except for the MSD distributor and MSD igniton box.

What has been your best total advance and what carb do you run? Thanks!

For the life of me I can not remember what I have the advance set at. I will say though I go almost a full .10 quicker with the vacuum advance disconnected...tested that at the track.

My carb is a 850 Holley with vacuum secondaries.

advance it 2* at a time until you get your best MPH

I did advance the timing on the second run about 3 degrees and it didn't seem to respond like I thought it would.

Bill - strange about the vacuum advance. At WOT, it shouldn't be pulling any advance as manifold vacuum approaches 0. But hey, it works....

congrats Mike..those are great numbers for the first time out. That's about where Red's car started out and after some tweaking we finally got it down into the 11.60's @ 117 with her just putting it in drive. There were several 10ths on the table but she told me to go play with the Chevelle and leave her car alone... frown

Thanks Davey. Red's car has the same cam as well?

If I can get your numbers of 11.6 @ 117 with that RV cam, I'd be thrilled and I'd leave that engine alone. 4 mph is a lot to ask, but with some good air and carb tweaking, it may be possible.

Thanks Davey. Red's car has the same cam as well?

If I can get your numbers of 11.6 @ 117 with that RV cam, I'd be thrilled and I'd leave that engine alone. 4 mph is a lot to ask, but with some good air and carb tweaking, it may be possible.

no I put a Straub cam in it Mike....picked up 4 tenths...

• 3 weeks later...