71 Interior Color

70bowtie

My Monte has a Sandalwood color interior what color should the carpet be, it is darker so would it be med saddle. I looked on the build sheet but it don't give the color.

Another question what color is the center console is it darker than the seats and I guess the seat backs are sandalwood color.

Anyone have any picture of a sandalwood bucket interior Monte.

Thanks

Leo

Can you decode the Cowl Tag under hood on firewall? There is a code on that tag that identifies exterior/interior color(s). The tag may be stamped TR and numbers after it. Those numbers may help you in determining interior color(s). Another may say paint followed by letters/numbers which identifies exterior color(s).

Doug

Here's a 1971 sandalwood buckets/console interior:

http://www.fgmcc.com/photopost/data/624/0954.JPG

The carpet has been replaced in this car and it is lighter than the factory carper colour. You can tell by the original carpet still on the door panel. The console should be the same colour as the carpet I think but can't recall for sure.

The pic below is an original bench seat Monte. You can see the carpet colour matches the carpet on the door panel.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/album/05PCBC/05pcbc110.jpg

The fact is, the reproduction carpet is not an exact match. Even if they say "sandalwoood" it does not always mean iit is the correct colour. I found out the hard way that their 1970 sandalwood package tray is not correct for 1970. The vendors will typically send you swatches of carpet so you can identify the best for your car. Ask for swatches of sandalwood, light tan, light saddle, etc and see which one looks best.

Here's my stock sandalwood interior. I'm doing some restoration on the interior and made the mistake of getting dark saddle for some of the parts, no worries thought it was good practice painting them shocked

1971MonteCarlo13_zps6e2b5496.jpg

The carpet is not original, but I like how it turned out. (done by previous owner)

I have switched my car to sandlewood color, when I ordered the carpet I told them I had sandlewood interior, and they matched the lower color of door panels they had in stock. I guess it depends on who your ordering from, I used Luttys and they knew what it was supposed to look like

I can check through my receipts later and see if it has a color listed on it

Thanks guys lots of good info and pictures to go by. My carpet is darker than the sandalwood so Tony if you find a color or a part number from your receipts it would be great.

Looks like the console is darker than the seats and the same as the dash I will have to see if I can match that up as the console I have is blue and I have to paint it. Hoping to get all this together for the fall so I can switch it to buckets. Got a great deal on seats, console and steering column, waiting now to get it picked up and shipped from Ontario.

Leo

Leo, on my reciept from Luttys Chevy it says 014113 Rug. Thats going to most likely be thier part # though. If you order from them it shouldnt be a problem, not sure about Canada though. I know I just told them what color my interior was and they sent me the correct color carpet for it

Thanks Tony that helps I will check it out.

Here is pics of the car when I bought it, there are some interior photos of the carpet it looks like the one pictured in the above post.

http://www.showdownauto.com/?vehicle=1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo

Leo

Looks about like what I have, can't link to any pics on my car domain page anymore, here's one I found in the member galleries where you can see it

OC_2010_044.jpg

I painted my dash and kick panels to match my headliner, wanted a different look, but the carpet matches the lower on the doors and the package tray

That looks good Tony, I did my kick panels same as the door panels but I just got some SEM Phantom White and it seems to be a good match to the seats now as I have to do the head rest and all the plastic parts of the seats.

Leo

Yep, that's the correct colour Leo. At least you have the original colours to compare to which will help. I would ask for colour swatches before ordering the carpet if it was me.

101_2382.jpg

By the way Leo, If you need the correct package tray, I have 2 1971 sandalwood package trays (it's a long story). Let me know if you are interested as I have no use for them.

Hey Arron, I put a new one in mine last year I couldn't get a sandalwood at the time so it's a saddle color but it matches the outside of the car and vinyl roof it looks alright even the one in mine didn't look like sandalwood. I'll think about getting one of you as I have to change the headliner in the fall so might be a good time to put in the right one. Speaking of having two I ordered mine and the first one was for a nova so they sent me another one.

Leo