Monte Starts But Will Not Tun Off With Key

Alize LowRod

With the rewire and cut off of crap not needed I some how messed something up so now my car starts as normal but when I turn the key off it dues not turn off.

What do I need to look for or do to get it to kill it at turn off. Is there a solenoid bad? Is there a ground needed? Etc?

We took off the voltage regulator since I dont have heat or ac on the car any more and we have a new style alternator and HEI on it.

Please help.

check to see if you have voltage at the distributor with the key off

if you do, you need to wire the distributor to an ignition source, not a accessory, ignition will have power while the starter is cranking, accessory will not

I will check that as soon as the guys finish playing with the speakers. Also I forgot to mention that the oil light stays on now too for some reason even with the key off and key out. Never did that either before.

No... just put in some RCA's for my amp to my head unit (stereo) under the dash. But did jot mess with any wiring in the dash.

We did run new power from the bat to just befor the fuse block on the motor side of the fire wall.

you have a couple of circuits getting battery voltage, check the new feed wire if it's connected to the correct wire, sounds like it's connected to a ignition circuit wire and back feeding the system

what color is the wire that the new feed wire is connected too?

I am wondering if we fixed a old jerry rig, by mistake, from before I got Alize. Cuz there looks to be a wire spliced into the distributor. (I'm confused on this stuff sorry, I suck at wiring)

See pic... [img:left]https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10...mp;notif_t=like[/img]

looks like it was never wired correctly for a HEI distributor, those look like the original wires for the points distributor

did you check to see if there is power at those wires with the key off?

That is what I was wondering, think the guy who had it before me may not have wired it correctly and jarry rigged it, and when I took out old wires and redid them from the bat to the terminal on the fire wall just before the fuse block it must have fixed the jerry rig on it and now its not letting it shut off.

I will check to see if it is getting power when we go to work on it on Friday and Sat. (its at my BF's cuz's house, he is helping us redo the wiring) and we are all baffled on the no stop when key is off and then now the oil light also stays on when key is off and out. crazy and getting frustrated with it.

looks like it was never wired correctly for a HEI distributor, those look like the original wires for the points distributor

ditto Run a 12 volt wire from the fuse block to the distributor. Hook it up at the IGN point on the fuse block.

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)

ditto Run a 12 volt wire from the fuse block to the distributor. Hook it up at the IGN point on the fuse block.

Cool!

I will check if its getting power with the key off at the distributor as it is. And if its not, Guessing that is not the issue, and we will have to try some wire and connectors to the fuse block to it.

My boyfriend, Mike, is going over to his cuz's house to do a little work on it, and they may try and tinker with it today as I am at work.

Sweet!

Just got a text from my boyfriend, Mike, he went over to his cuz's house today with my little boy and tinkered with the distributor, and now Alize starts and shuts off with the key. Guess there was a yellow wire that was wired in that was not factory, from the guy who had the car before me (original owner) and that must have been the Jerry Rig we some how fixed with redoing the wires.

He said he disconnected it and now it starts and shuts off like it did before. Crazy... Just glad it is fixed, so maybe can get Alize home now by or before Friday!

shifter WoooHooo!

Ok; now a new issue... My Boyfriend was over at his cuz's house again today getting the last bit of the stuff put back on her (dash pad, new seal for the thermostat housing etc...)Because he was trying to get it done for me for Mothers day, so I could cruse it this weekend with the kids.

Any way, So he started it up and pulled it out of his cuz's shop, and took it on a short test drive, got to the corner (not even a block) and it back fired and died as he tried to take the turn from a stop. He tried to start it back up and now it is not turning over at all.

Do you think the distributor coil fried?

Or could it be something else?

I am wondering if we should just try and run a new wire to it and see if it works... I found a diagram on line but don't know if its correct for out first gen Monte's. (I don't have a tach)

hei_wire.gif

Ok, now he just texted me and said that they jumped it and it started...

UGH! mad

Wonder if the batteries where just not charged or something?

or maybe my alternator is going bad or has died and is not charging?

Found it was the bat terminal was hitting my hood and arced causing the issue. So have to heg a rubber cover for it.

Other then that she runs and drives great. But I think my vac line for the over drive is leaking. Because she won't shift into it. It looks dry rotted so going to get a new one tomorrow and pit it on. Hope it fixes it.

Sounds like your Monte has developed some kind of Furd disease.

Rob

Good God, I hope not... LoL... But dues not help that I don't drive her much, (has to be nice out) and also we had just about everything apart this winter to fix the jacked up wiring.

I plan to check the vac line today after I get off of work. Even my Dad said that has got to be what it is since I only have maybe 4y tops on a full rebuilt trans with shift kit. And I don't drive it that much and when I do I don't drive it crazy hard like most people do. Its also perfect on fluid when I checked last night. Just did not think of the vac like till my Dad asked if I checked it when I was telling him about it not kicking into OD, on the phone.

Love My Daddy. He got me into this stuff. smile