Tilt Column Cylinder Lock

I have a fully rebuilt Floor Shift Tilt Steering Column, its all assembled minus Turn Signal lever and tilt lever, which just screws in, no problem.

Does the Cylinder lock just go in and lock in place.

My Column basically looks just like this one, all together but Cylinder lock and levers not installed, I'm thinking it should be simple but one thing I have never done on these cars, so want to do it right.

Rebuilt Column Link

Jared the instructions that came with mine said to insert cylinder with key installed then turn and it should lock. Mine came from a guy on ebay that rebuilds columns and seat belts.

Oh I hear you. I don't think I have ever been able to get a lock cylinder out yet, and I have a detailed steering column rebuild manual I got from a retired GM factory service tech....

I have done it on other cars, just not on my Monte.

Yeah, it was very simple. I wish taking one out that's bad was just as easy.

Yeah, but that would make them too easy to steal....not that they aren't already easy to steal.

rob

Hey Fella's, GM did make the column along a simular idea as the body. as in the body door and floors all come Pre Dimpled so you or Dealers could install options such as adding PW or PDL or even a console etc.... indise the steering column once the Cancel Cam is removed you can just see like the dimples at the end if you can visualise where the lock cylinder would be on the inside at the end there is the annoying tang that folds over and strikes the Cancel Cam. litterally there right beside it there is a indentation that is rectangular in shape and tiny like the width of a small flat headed screw driver. you can tap gently with a long neck flat head screwdriver through that soft metal area and poke through to what would be the same on the inside of the cylinder sleeve. The lock cylinder before you slide it in look at the end of it and you will see and Tappered plastic V groove that sticks up, usually black or white in color. You can slightly push that in and out on the cylinder. That is what locks the cylinder into the column where that rectangular indent is on the inside of where you are poking through. when you poke through from the inside it is that Tappered wedge that you need to push in on to release the lock cylinder with the keys in the cylinder too, wiggle back and forth on the key as if you are starting the car and push on Tapper and it will come out. Voila....

GM would have fired me years ago for saying that and I think the boys in Blue wouldnt be happy for me to share that info either but 44 years later I dont think it matters anymore.... Thats the way we removed the cylinders at the Dealers when needed to switch broken column and cylinders and leave the doors all coded. There are ways to get everything apart or to add to GM cars back then it was all in the design..

Darren.

I will try to get pics and upload as it may be hard to follow what I described sorry..

0900c1528004b354_zps9969ed01.jpg

inside the column you can see the Upside Down L shape at the 12:30 ish position next to the Tang and Cancel Cam mounting Screw hole, thats where you poke through ever so gently.

wobble13_zps4542a62a.jpg

That is the lock Tapper and also what you are poking through to push in to release the Cylinder..

wobble14_zps5208309e.jpg

Annoying Tang....... break this and you will have problems with turn signals and cancel cam ground and key minder problems..

PLEASE NOTE. this is a guideline and I dont accept any responsability for breakages or errors these are helpfull hints.

Darren.

There is a trick to it, seems simple once you do it a few times.

I'll practice on a junk column. smile

Someone trying to steal a car not going to go through this work, they'll take a sledge hammer to column and try to get unlocked that way. That's why I always disable my car where it will not start especially in motel parking lots, take off the coil wire, unhood the battery etc. Hidden kill switches.

Wasn't this just demonstrated at the Eastern Meet whistle

Yeah, but that would make them too easy to steal....not that they aren't already easy to steal.

rob

He has it proudly displayed......

In his garage......

on a shelf......

inside his garage refrigerator!!!

rob

The picture on the award should have been of Greg and me breaking into Scotts car to get the keys out. You wouldnt believe how easy it was for he and I to break into it.

Rob

The picture on the award should have been of Greg and me breaking into Scotts car to get the keys out. You wouldnt believe how easy it was for he and I to break into it.

Rob

It's my award. Why would I want yours and Greg's picture on it? lol