TH350 Vacuum modulator question

Madmarek

I have a 1970 with extremely soft shifts.

Put in B&M Transpak with no difference.

replaced the Vacuum modulator no difference.

So I removed the Vacuum line from the modulator and no difference. I would have thought that the trans would have shifted real high if at all with it disconnected. Any thoughts?

what about when you manually shift it?

with the installation of the transpack should've made a big difference

wind it up in first gear and level off (build vacuum) then shift it, if it still doesn't have a firm shift I would consult a trans shop

I have a feeling your tranny is living on borrowed time

By short shifts I assume you mean shifting early? have you checked the governer to make sure its operating correctly? With modulator vacuum line off you shouldnt get an upshift or a very delayed upshift. And not to insult you are you sure its a th350 and not a th400, thats a whole different game. Hows the fluid look? and any slipping when its cold in low or reverse? sorry more questions than answers.

If I manually shift it acts the same way.

No pop to the shift just eases into it like a caddillac.

I did reduce some weights from the governor and that raised my shift points but still soft.

Yes it is a 350 since the oil pan gasket with the kit fit.

Fluid looks cherry red. No smell.

If anything I think it may slip a little in reverse but im not sure what size my torque converter is.

I was hoping that by taking off the vacuum line it would change something but i was wrong.

I have not checked vacuum pressure but with a hand vac pump i did verify that the piston in the vac modulator moves.

But I would think that if the vac line is disconnected the modulator in the trans would be fully forward since the vac modulator is pushing full force.

• 2 weeks later...

The shift kits from B&M are designed to be used with a high stall converter and will feel softer when paired up this way. I remember when I was younger and couldn't afford anything other than a stock converter how the whole car would shake when it did the 1-2 shift. I loved it. My girlfriend not so much lol. Reminiscing aside I too have a feeling the transmission is on its way out. Reverse takes the highest amount of pressure to engage so if you feel that it is slipping in reverse that could be a sign. If you do end up rebuilding it make sure you swap in the shift kit and you will have a transmission that will out last the car. From what I remember filing the separator plate is to make sure it seals correctly and there is no leaks between the fluid channels. In this case I don't think it is the problem. David

• 3 weeks later...