1970 Monte rear proble

Dave Belk

Looking for some guideance as this is out of my expertise. I have a LS-3 / Tremec 5 speed / original rear converted car. It has a full Hotchkiss suspension. The problem is the rear of the driveshaaft, about 3-4" in from u-joint, bottoms out on floor board when hitting a bump a little hard. Not sure if I need heavier springs or ??? The rubber snubber is there, and rough distance between driveshaft and floorboard is about 3-4" and when "bouncing" the car it goes about 1/2 that distance. Anyone have a similar problem?

Tremec  has an app for smartphones that tells you if your angle is set correctly, check it out. I also had this problem years ago on a car I owned. Turned out It had a broken motor and trans mount that allowed the drive train to shift and hit the side of the tunnel as you described.

I know I had a few problems removing the cross member in my Camaro before I replaced the body bushings. Once it was done there was far more clearance. Perhaps this might be something similar. I did a similar swap with a Keisler RS500 on my Monte and didn't have any issues with drive shaft clearance. Let us know what you discover. 

Might have to reset your ride height. Jack the back of your car up and put jack stands under the frame. Support the rear diff and loosen your lower control arms only. Raise or lower your diff so you have around 11" of clearance between top of diff tube and bottom of frame. It is important that both sides are the same distance. Retighten your lower control arms. Drop car on the ground and see if you like the ride height. If not repeat process and raise or lower diff as needed. Not very scientific but I Have seen measurements between 10 and 12" depending on car. This will only work assuming your upper control arms have not been loosened during the conversion, if they have not, this should help with your bottoming out problem.