Cooling Fan question

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey guys do you all think I could get this fan to work on my Monte. It's made for direct fit on F150s.post-624-0-97553900-1417058740_thumb.jpg

I,m going to remove the mechanical fan assembly from the Monte and I am trying to get it to run as cool as possible. Here is a link to the fan assembly: http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/flx-270/overview/ I will not be paying that much for the fan assembly of course I'm getting a great deal. Thanks ....Rodney

That fan definitely pulls a lot of air, mine pulls 4600 and works great so you should be set in that department...but I am thinking you might be too wide with the one you chose. I have an aftermarket radiator (Be Cool) so I can't remember the dimensions of a stock one but my shroud at 27.5" is right up to the inlet and the outlet hoses on either side and the shroud you are looking at is almost 3.5" wider than mine will most likely run into them. Your best bet would be to trial fit it and if that is not possible measure the area for clearance. You should be fine on the height though.

Another thing to remember is you will need a relay for the fan and it will need a fuse at a minimum of 35 amps but no more than 40 amps. I would run a #8 gauge wire from the battery with an inline fuse, then to the relay, then to the fan. Your control wire will come from your thermostat probe. I also installed an over ride control wire on mine so I can turn it on full with a switch on my console.

Rodney..if you are looking to run as cool as possible there is an awesome article on team chevelle sight that is all ab out cooling...not that I am trying to sway from this sight

Rodney on my 70 I have the mechincal clutch fan with a clutch that locks up at low speeds and my dual elec fan set up mounted to the radiator flx-412_w_ml.jpg. While at the eastern meet in 2013 the water temp stayed around 190° with a 185° temostat. 006-11.jpg

So I could use both Ert?

Glad to see the fan shroud has angled corners, like you said looks like you can get it to work. As far as using both the electric and mechanical I would think would be way overkill...that electric fan will be more than enough. Just my electric fan keeps my 502 no more than 180/190 on a 90 degree day, I have a 160 thermostat in it also. My fan typically runs at 75%, not too often it runs at a 100%. Looks to me you have the same control panel on it as mine...might want to google the schematic on it if you did not get one with the fan. If you want to cool it even further you can install the override switch so it will be at 100% whenever you flip it on. You can actually over cool it though...I have played with mine and on a cool day of say 65 degrees you can bring the temp too low with it running 100%.

• Like 1

Glad to see the fan shroud has angled corners, like you said looks like you can get it to work. As far as using both the electric and mechanical I would think would be way overkill...that electric fan will be more than enough. Just my electric fan keeps my 502 no more than 180/190 on a 90 degree day, I have a 160 thermostat in it also. My fan typically runs at 75%, not too often it runs at a 100%. Looks to me you have the same control panel on it as mine...might want to google the schematic on it if you did not get one with the fan. If you want to cool it even further you can install the override switch so it will be at 100% whenever you flip it on. You can actually over cool it though...I have played with mine and on a cool day of say 65 degrees you can bring the temp too low with it running 100%.

Thanks Bill. Yes I got the instructions with the fans. I decided to only run the electric fans. Can you post a pic of your setup so I can get some ideas on how to mount mine? Thanks again!!

Thanks Bill. Yes I got the instructions with the fans. I decided to only run the electric fans. Can you post a pic of your setup so I can get some ideas on how to mount mine? Thanks again!!

Hey Rodney,

Here is a neat little controller I installed on a customers vehicle. It has a dry temp sensor wire that I bolted to the front of the cylinder head. The box is adjustable and will turn on one fan and if the temp gets higher the other fan will cut on. If you have a/c there is an override mode that is wired into the a/c compressor power wire so when the a/c is switched on both fans run. Works like a charm. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52126/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710752088&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848229&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiAneujBRDcvL6f5uybhdABEiQA_ojMgiq1EQCNR81Dp_vndjbQglyldCUDqCuYbQebqUQoYAEaAkjm8P8HAQ

I installed 4 angle brackets on top onto the four threaded holes that were on the shroud, The two on the ends lined up with radiators factory holes and the two in the middle basically do nothing other than hook behind it. On the bottom I used the two inner shrouds threaded holes and put a bracket underneath the radiator support. I hid as much of the wiring as possible.

IMG_20141130_171550_284_zpse98e9ba2.jpg

IMG_20141130_171523_597_zpsb2ea8ec0.jpg

IMG_20141130_171329_480_zps47669f24.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Bill! Exactly what I needed to see. I will get this to work. I got the fans for $100 so I will get it done. I might have to trim the housing a little and reseal the gaps. I will see. Thanks again!! You are a great help.

• 4 weeks later...