Sail panel fabric covers

Rock

I bought new sail panel emblems and not sure how to remove the panels so I can attach the emblems to the sail panels and add the locking nuts. Is there an easy way to do it or a step by step thread on it. I did a search and turned up nothing.

Thanks, Glen

Glen I'm looking at a sail panel emblem that I have laying around and the emblems look to use a barrle nut. To remove the inside sail panel you would need to remove the package tray and from looking at my 72 there not a easy way to get to the pins for the emblems.

I was afraid of that... I guess I will have to investigate some more. I dont know why they wouldn't of put the emblems back on before re-doing the head liner. As you can see in my signature pic they are missing.

Glen here is a picture from my 72 005_zpsa0e894d9.jpg so the quarter door panel would need to come off along wit the removal of the back seat, as you can see in the picture thee is no way to get anything to the location of the holes. You might be able to either go up from where the quarter window is with an ale to find the holes or maybe thur the trunk. On my 70 I have the emblems on the 72 I want a clean look with no name plates saying Monte Carlo. color_zpsb12351a7.jpg

Thanks for the pic...I guess I have to tear out the back seat again...comes out pretty easy but just a pain. I need to adjust the pass. quarter window anyways. Can you see the holes for the emblems from the inside easily? Maybe some adhesive would be easier...

Glenn, I could be wrong but I didn't think there were nuts on the sail panel scripts. I thought there was only a grommet type device in the sail panel and that the prongs of the script just pressed into them??Someone with a body manual could verify but I wouldn't tear out your interior sail panel panels until you know for sure.............  

Just feel around the vinyl with your finger. You should beabe to find them. Mark the indention with calk. After you find the holes use a awl to push thu the vinyl. You should also buy some barrel nuts. Auto paint shop will help you out.

Carl

Just feel around the vinyl with your finger. You should beabe to find them. Mark the indention with calk. After you find the holes use a awl to push thu the vinyl. You should also buy some barrel nuts. Auto paint shop will help you out.

Carl[/q2uote]

I did find the 3 holes under the vinyl. It would be nice if they just pressed in without having to take half the car apart....

As others said, they just press in. Make sure you use the barrel nuts, they slip on the studs and you just press them in.

Cool....thanks for the info. Hate to rip it apart if I don't have too.

As others said, they just press in. Make sure you use the barrel nuts, they slip on the studs and you just press them in.

I guess I will need a set of these barrel nuts....maybe Jared has some?!?!

Barrel nuts are used to hold on the sail panel emblems. You should be able to fine them at an automotive body supply store. NAPA may have them or maybe they can order them for you. AuvecoPak part number AP2595 is what I used on my 72. 8 pcs. per package so I have two left over. You push them into the hole (I used a screw driver handle and the popped right in) and then just push the emblem into the barrel nuts. Auveco calls them tubular nuts 1/8th" stud size. I tried putting them on the emblems but it worked better for me by installing the barrel nuts first I was afraid of damaging the sail panel but putting to much pressure with them on the emblem. .

Barrel nuts are used to hold on the sail panel emblems. You should be able to fine them at an automotive body supply store. NAPA may have them or maybe they can order them for you. AuvecoPak part number AP2595 is what I used on my 72. 8 pcs. per package so I have two left over. You push them into the hole (I used a screw driver handle and the popped right in) and then just push the emblem into the barrel nuts. Auveco calls them tubular nuts 1/8th" stud size. I tried putting them on the emblems but it worked better for me by installing the barrel nuts first I was afraid of damaging the sail panel but putting to much pressure with them on the emblem. .

Thanks Larry....always thorough with your posts....lol

You didn't buy new ones?

New ones would of been $50 and these are in good shape and are original gm. I got them for $25 shipped. I think a little elbow grease and they will be as good as new.

Carl

:dt you should be able to feel the holes, definately don't bother taking the interior apart. The barrel clips are available at most auto parts stores in the help section also

Glen, here's a little trick for you to refurbish your old scripts. If the black paint was worn away and you want the chrome letters to pop, use a brass bristled brush with dish soap/water to clean the scripts. this will get any loose paint and grime and leave the metal really clean. Then find a crayon and lightly mark up the chrome surface (top flat portion only, see photo, I used a yellow crayon) then spray the scripts with SEM trim black and let them thoroughly dry for several hours. Using a wooden tongue depressor or something similar (wood only) rub off the waxy crayon which is now black from paint. The chrome top surface of the scripts will now be exposed. Insure that the waxy crayon is only applied on the top flat surface. Good luck!

post-732-0-11191200-1417268950_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-93007400-1417268989_thumb.jpg