messed up my axle

monte0

Well I ran into a isue last night when removing the crash ring from the axles on my 9" rear end. I used the die grinder but I ended up slipping and cutting into one axle. What is rule of thumb when doing this? I attached a pic of how bad it is.

post-246-0-93277800-1427290260_thumb.jpg

I measured the depth and in the worse spot it's 2/32"...I hope it's not bad enough were I've got to change axles but by the looks of it I might be close to the boarder line

:dt

Metal fatigue failures most often start at a stress point and you've unfortunately created a dandy in a very bad spot.  I wouldn't take a chance on that if I had zero deductible insurance ...

I would replace it, there's so much stress at that point and isn't that the area where the seal rides?

Their isn't any seal their. The 9" rears use a sealed bearing and a lock ring behind the bearing area since their is no c-clips.

Yea, I'm kind of torn on the idea of what to do. A rear end builder I know said I could still use it since the stress will mainly be at the bearing area to the flange. Plus the fact that the area cut is about 3/16" thicker then the rest of the shaft. Idk, really hate to spend more again

take it to an engine builder/machine shop and have them tig it and polish it like they do for crankshaft journals...as long as you are not launching it at 5000 rpm I dont see any reason why not keep em

A good machinist could fill it and make sure it is back to spec for you. But, IMO, to upgrade the axles isn't all that expensive and you would have all new steel, not 45 year old stuff.

Mike

A good machinist could fill it and make sure it is back to spec for you. But, IMO, to upgrade the axles isn't all that expensive and you would have all new steel, not 45 year old stuff.

Mike

The axles are only about 7-8 years old

Axles are hardened steel and hardened steel is brittle. The very small amount of welding you need to repair that little groove isn't going to build enough heat to cause any problems.

Dan