Upgraded inside rear view mirror???

Arvizu9618

Has anybody here upgraded their rear view mirror to something new and improved?

My OEM one has the factory map light, but the slider/switch became brittle and doesn't work anymore.

Any suggestions as to what else I could change out the mirror to with map lights?

thanks

Art

No light in mine but the mirror was darkening, so I got a replacement from CARS. It was made in China and is slightly smaller but works fine.

No light in mine but the mirror was darkening, so I got a replacement from CARS. It was made in China and is slightly smaller but works fine.

Thanks Bruce

Hey Art, I replaced mine with a glass mounted version like the newer cars, has 2 map lights. I'll look up were I got a bit later as I'm off to work.....

post-732-0-84425300-1431096501_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-16384400-1431096516_thumb.jpg

The mirror I bought was on Amazon, fairly impressed. It looks good, easy to install, and I mounted slightly higher to give me a better view. Go to Amazon & type in part #CIPA 36000. 

We put a Dakota Digital mirror in the El Camino it doesn't have map lights but it does have outside temp and the direction you are going in. I had one issue and that was getting the mounting plate to stay on the front windshield.

I had a piece of interior trim that I cut to fit as you can see in the pic.............

That looks like a good mirror, Murph  It's got good reviews on Amazon too

Gonna order mine soon.

Got any left over windlace? :whistle:

The glue that came with the kit didn't last long, about 2 weeks, I bought some glue at NAPA for windshield mounted mirrors and its been fine for over a year now. I will stress that I cleaned that spot on the windshield several times to insure it was clean and then I didn't hang the mirror for probably 2 days............. 

I have been looking to upgrade the mirror also. I know I have some windlace packed away in one of those boxes.....

You can get the adhesive for the mirror button at just about any auto parts store.

I've done that swap in the past.... It's a nice change. To cover the original space in the window lace you can get a rear window lace and cut it down to the length of the front piece. This way there are no seams, it's one continuous piece that looks factory.