71SS Tires

Aceinsp

Ok here is the question and there seems to be some debate.   What brand of tire came with the 71 SS?  I know the size is G70 by 15.  Mine came with Good Year narrow stipped white wall. I still have the original spare.   I have searched high and low for replacements and have found no match for white wall only the size.  Any body got any info for finding them?  Later RJD

My 70 not an SS came with General G70 15's with a thin white wall because I ordered it that way. 7" wheels versus 6" also came as part of that option which cost $46.45

Thanks but it looks like there is non listed on his site for a Good Year tire either.  Just like other sites.  Any one know what other vehicls this tire may have come on.  It appears to be very rare.  Later RJD

I ordered the rally wheels and thin WSW tires on my non SS 71 (built in Canada) and got Goodyear.

My friend (also named Bruce) bought a 71 SS, after he saw mine, and he also had rally wheels and the Goodyear tires.

I have 7" wheels, as did my friends 71 SS.

Coker tire may sell them. Good luck.

Bruce

I would suggest calling Jim at Collectors Auto Supply as he may be able to find that tire for you. He is also a Coker tire dealer.

Thanks for all the info.  I have tried a bunch of sites and fail to see the G70x15.  Lots of 14 inch. Seems funny that the resto folks missed this tire combo. Yep looks just like my spare that is still in the trunk.  Never been on the ground.  Even hold air but I don't think I'd trust to use it. Later RJD

Didn't Corvettes have G70-15 thin stripe WSW Goodyear tires on them in 71?

Can't believe they don't reproduce them.

I wouldn't want them (G-70 x 15 bias tires) for my Monte, but probably would if it was a great looking SS like yours is!

BTW my spare is a G-70 x 15 that came with the car but has miles on it and I have one more in the basement.

I now run Cooper 225 R 15 but they are also no longer made, I am told.

Bruce

I'm trying to get the car as close to as original as I can.  But the tires are putting a hold on my plans.  I intend to sell the car and want it to be close for more bucks.  Later RJD

My first '71 SS454 came with a Firestone G70-15 spare in the trunk that was the original. It was built in Van Nuys. I'm running Firestone reproductions on my current SS as it was built in Van Nuys too. Canuck where was your car produced?

My car was built in Oshawa. I looked up the production and date codes and the tire was made in Ontario a few months before my car was built. My spare tire has also never been used. Still has all the nubs and lettering on the tread.

Coker Silvertown tires are the only reproductions out there that I've seen. They are pricey though. The correct size for our Montes is 225/70/15 and the part number is COK-579787 and they are available through Summit Racing. Here's a pic....

post-791-0-73079100-1434364323_thumb.jpg

My car was built in Oshawa. I looked up the production and date codes and the tire was made in Ontario a few months before my car was built. My spare tire has also never been used. Still has all the nubs and lettering on the tread.

It must be a factory thing with the tire supplier. To be honest I've only seen Firestones on original cars. I sold the '71 SS to my brother and he still has the car. The tire has the nubs on it and doesn't appear to ever been put on the car as well.

Firestone historically had a very close relationship with Ford, which is why some of you are seeing original cars with Goodyear tires on them. I actually believe that I have some original documentation for my 70 SS that states Firestone brand but I'd have to look to be certain.

The only reproduction tire available for our cars is a G70x15 Firestone Wide Oval tire. This size has the proper 3/8" white wall. You can't get the G78-15 that would be the original standard size for small block cars either.

If you are looking to go to AACA judging (I'm a senior master judge in their organization and the Assistant Chief Judge for Hershey this year and Chief Judge for 2016 and 2017), the brand does not matter. The tires only need to be the proper size and construction.

If you are lucky enough to find an original Goodyear, it may hold air but the properties of the rubber are probably degraded to the point where they would be unsafe to drive on. The reproduction bias ply tires are quite safe to drive with, provided that your alignment shop sets the front suspension to the factory specs. The specs for radial and bias ply tires are different, hence the Pontiac trademark of "Radial Tuned Suspension". I can attest to this difference on my 66 Ford Galaxie. It's a 60K mile original and when I brought it home it drove like crap with radial tires. It wanted to wander all over the road. Since we were showing in AACA I immediately put a set of bias ply tires on it. Now it drives straight as an arrow. Between Dad and I, we have 4 cars running bias plies and haven't had an issue with any of them.

Firestone historically had a very close relationship with Ford, which is why some of you are seeing original cars with Goodyear tires on them. I actually believe that I have some original documentation for my 70 SS that states Firestone brand but I'd have to look to be certain.

The only reproduction tire available for our cars is a G70x15 Firestone Wide Oval tire. This size has the proper 3/8" white wall. You can't get the G78-15 that would be the original standard size for small block cars either.

If you are looking to go to AACA judging (I'm a senior master judge in their organization and the Assistant Chief Judge for Hershey this year and Chief Judge for 2016 and 2017), the brand does not matter. The tires only need to be the proper size and construction.

If you are lucky enough to find an original Goodyear, it may hold air but the properties of the rubber are probably degraded to the point where they would be unsafe to drive on. The reproduction bias ply tires are quite safe to drive with, provided that your alignment shop sets the front suspension to the factory specs. The specs for radial and bias ply tires are different, hence the Pontiac trademark of "Radial Tuned Suspension". I can attest to this difference on my 66 Ford Galaxie. It's a 60K mile original and when I brought it home it drove like crap with radial tires. It wanted to wander all over the road. Since we were showing in AACA I immediately put a set of bias ply tires on it. Now it drives straight as an arrow. Between Dad and I, we have 4 cars running bias plies and haven't had an issue with any of them.

Very good info. I never knew there was different alignment between bias and radial. That must be why my car tracks better with bias tires. I'm a big fan of bias tires and have even run the car in a f.a.s.t. (Factory appearing stock tire) event running the G70s. The M/T ET Streets and ET wheels are fun too.

post-92-0-62723400-1434409781_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-23215800-1434410206_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-53446500-1434410472_thumb.jpg

It's not going to be a car that will be set up to show.  Been there done that. Have won more trophys with this car that I care to think about.   I'm paticular when it comes to what the car had when new.  That is why I was looking for the Goodyear tire.  BTW here is an interesting tid bit.  Mine never came with the chrome exhaust tips and I even ordered this car and never notice till after I had brought the car home from the dealer.  Thanks for all the info.  Later RJD

• 2 months later...

Very late to this game, but I have the 5 original Goodyear tires.  For display reasons only I will put on the bias ply tires, but have put tubes in them.  The 3/8" whitewall looks very sharp on these cars.