Skirts on SS???

Aaronz28

Ok, so according to the tech info -  Skirts weren't available on a SS because of the 15x 7 wheels....

BUT i just sold an original White 70 (Non-SS) that had original 15x7 Rally Wheels and Skirts.

The wheels were dated originals and everything seemed legit, (including the spare which had the original rubber on it) and the skirts were surely original to the car.

So... all this to say, I wanna put skirts on my 70 SS, but only if they "Could" have been ordered  - LOL

photos are of E70x15 red lines on original 15x7 rally wheels with skirts.post-910-0-56033700-1445219052_thumb.jpgpost-910-0-97657300-1445219246_thumb.jpg

A

To my knowledge, redlines were not available from the factory either. Could it be that the dealer put the rallys and redlines on when new? Does it say skirts and rallys on the build sheet?

To my knowledge, redlines were not available from the factory either. Could it be that the dealer put the rallys and redlines on when new? Does it say skirts and rallys on the build sheet?

i never discovered a build sheet,  i put the redlines on because i liked the way they looked.

I did speak to the original owner however - and he swears that he ordered the car new with rally wheels, and skirts.  

Dealers will add anything you want, to make a buck. I recall many vehicles were ordered with out items only to be added later by the prep man or outside shop. List includes, A/C, Vinyl top, Radio's, Undercoating, Paint protection, Pin stripes, Sun roof, Opera windows, (Yes I have seen a Monte with them!) on pick up trucks the rear step bumper was never ordered instead an aftermarket one was added. I remember they would bring the truck in for warranty work and the rusty rear bumper was on their list!

Think of all the GTO's modified by dealers like ROYAL Pontiac in Royal Oak, Michigan with their BOBCAT KIT.

My new 71 Monte came to the dealership with three dents @ no charge. Two in the roof and one on the ft tip of the hood. I was mad as heck, but took the car anyway. They repaired it but a short time later the "NEW" paint was dull.

Now, back to SS with skirts................................ sorry

Bruce

Now, back to SS with skirts................................ sorry

is there a reason that skirts weren't available?

the wheels/E70x15 tires fit - this i know for sure, as evidenced by my car. -  - not arguing - just trying to understand.

I think its because of the back set on a 15x7 ralley wheel and the center cap bringing it outward. This is why I asked about them being 15x6. I pretty sure that would be the same as a stock wheel with a hubcap. I did it and it did work.

I think its because of the back set on a 15x7 ralley wheel and the center cap bringing it outward. This is why I asked about them being 15x6. I pretty sure that would be the same as a stock wheel with a hubcap. I did it and it did work.

The wheels on my car are/were 15x7s   it is true that with the rally cap - if you hit a bump hard enough to collapse the spring/ or put 2000 lbs of [censored] in the trunk - the rally cap on a 15x7 might interfere with skirt... but i've never had any issue....  I guess - in the end, i just need to decide if i want them on the car or not - and screw "originality" for originalities sake..   Putting skirts on does nothing permanent as I can see so :D

thanks

Aaron

I have skirts on mine with no issues. The skirt itself sits about half way on the centercap (2" lowering springs) as far I know the wheel size is 15x7 originals. See the sig pic.

My parents ordered a 71 base new. The dealer couldn't order the car with the rally wheels and skirts, so they ordered it with the 15x6 plain steel wheels and skirts. Before the car was delivered, the wheels were changed to the rally wheels.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...