INTERIOR - Upgrading the sound system

not yet lol . the kids got me an in dash unit for fathers day ...... i told thanks but i aint cutting the dash for it to fit.my thoughts are to exchange it for a 10 or 12 disc trunk mount the plays through the FM stereo system . when i get this done i ll report how it goes .

mike

my thoughts are to exchange it for a 10 or 12 disc trunk mount the plays through the FM stereo system . when i get this done i ll report how it goes .

I've heard that you give up the CD digital clarity by getting one of those FM modular changers.... since it goes through the radio waves, you're depending on them to be clear... Another option I've heard of is an in dash post-type cassette deck available through Crutchfield that is CD changer compatible. You could hook up a standard changer and retain digital clarity...

I think I'm going with the glove box option...

Custom AutoSound makes new dash units that fit the radio holes for the chevelle/Monte.

------------------

-Ryan

- - - - - - - - - -

Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.

Last year I installed a Delco 10-disk FM-modulated CD changer in the trunk. I kept the original an fully operational Delco AM/FM stereo. This set-up works very well.

I replaced the rear speakers with an NOS set of Delco replacements. The sound is pretty good considering I'm using the original radio, which I would never consider removing.

Next step will be to either replace or recone the front speakers. I'm apprehensive to install replacements because of the way the brackts mount to the speakers.

• 5 months later...

if u have a good fm modulator itll sound awsome. FM stereo wave sensitivity is very well you wont notice any sound differences unless u are having an interference problem

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1984 Buick skyyhwak that i won
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Aye!)

I am one of the bad guys that cut my dash and put a CD player in. It looks good, but not original. I figure if I ever want to go back to stock I can get a new dash. I would say do what makes you happy. I personaly am not planing on selling my Monte. smile.gif I just wish that I had done the job myself instead of letting the shop do it. They realy butcherd the dash. It does not show when the radio is in, but I noticed it when I took the dash out to repaint it frown.gif

Ian

------------------

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

I went the Custom Autosound route. Like an idiot, I didn't check the dash before I got the radio. I just assumed by looking at the woodgrain portion that the dash behind was still intact. Had I looked another 1/4" deeper, I would have noticed that somebody had already butchered the dash.

So here I am with a butchered dash and a radio designed to fit a standard opening. The job just got more difficult.

The moral of the story is to check to see if the dash has already been cut in order to make a more informed decision. I probably wouldn't have gone the Custom Autosound route had I known the damage that was already done by a previoius owner.

I cut the hole in mine dont regret it just wish I would have done a better job but I dont mind my car is not perfect and since im goin to replace the whole interior whe I get the cash I really don't mine My car is not original and I might as well go crazy. I put a sony explode in and am thinking of upgrading to a 600 dollor pioneer and a TV and playstaion 2 Ill let u guys know when I get my tax return .....

• 2 months later...

My interior is the only finished part of my Monte. (well almost at least) I cut my dash and put in a Alpine CD player, I also have 2 15's, and 2 10's in the trunk, with overall wattage of 2600 watts. 1000 on my 15's, 1000 on my 10's, and 600 on my 6x9's. Now I just need to finish my front suspension, replace the worlds worst quarters, throw on a paint job, and I will be done. This winter I will be working on an already solid engine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooter:
if u have a good fm modulator itll sound awsome. FM stereo wave sensitivity is very well you wont notice any sound differences unless u are having an interference problem

I just put one of the FM ones in my wifes truck. You do not get much interference as the one I used plugs inline with the ant. to the back of the radio. It is so strong that there is a radio station on one of the 2 chanels they give you to use, and when you power up the unit is wacks it out.

Ian

i just hung a sony xplode mp3 player under the dash, directly beneath the original radio, which came in the trunk of the car and i since refitted, i got judged outta stock to street for that 'add-on' so now im devising a fixing bracket where the 'add-on' just slides into place, i can do it, i just needs the time smile.gif the speakers in the back are for the mp3 player, (crappy radio shack 6x9's) but they do the job ok, and the original speakers in the front are connected to the delco radio, only thing im looking for cheap is an antenna Y-splitter

anywayz .....

jon smile.gif

oh yea, and to dress off the bare metal of the sides of the mp3 player i simply cut out some plastic plates and stuck them with double sided tape to the sides of the unit, ignored the bottom and the bezel filled the gap at the top... fools me anywayz biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by delmonte (edited 06-08-2002).]

I was lucky enough to have a hole already cut in the dash, so my Kenwood out of my caddy fit right in no guilt here...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ADGTRUNKLID:
I was lucky enough to have a hole already cut in the dash, so my Kenwood out of my caddy fit right in no guilt here...</font>

Guilt sucks...
And it aint good for yer innards either...

------------------
Best Regards,
Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/

[This message has been edited by Ben N (edited 07-01-2002).]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i mounted a jvc kameleon deck under the dash i think cutting the dash takes a way some originallity points but if you plan to keep it do what you may. but i know that when i went looking to buy another monte it was a turn off for me to see a big gaping hole in the dash. if you are not sure on whether you are going to keep it or not i would install else where. but if you can live with the cut out good luck on finding a reasonable dash to replace later. you might just have to buy a brand new one. the under dash kit was under 20.00 alot cheaper than a new dash.. but this is just my opinion hope i can help safe your existing dash... better for long run.

I wanted a cd player but couldent afford the custom autosound cd changer set up. So i took a regular sized cd player and customized one of those universal center cup holders like they have at autozone to fit the cd player. I think this set is the best because when i take the car to shows i can just unplug the whole cd player and throw it in the trunk and tuck the wires under the rug then, VIOLA back to origonal.

I mounted a CD player under the center of the dash and it supplies 3-way 6x9's underneath the rear seat shelf. Looking to install amp and a pair of 15's in the trunk and hide some 1" tweeters somewhere in the front. oh, and for people that love bass like me, dont forget to use sound deadeners

------------------

"Edna" 72 350 3spd

• 2 months later...

hey guys, figured I'd pitch in my 2 cents..

I found a really cool way around this little problem.

the previous owner of my car hacked the radio opening in the dash to install gauges, and then very ugily mounted a cd player under the dash..

lets see here..

http://cars.dozer.com/regulars/tigeraid/monte_gauges.jpg

that's what it looked like when he owned it..

the center consle I have, is from a 3rd generation firebird :> let me see if I have a pic of that..

http://home.tir.com/~tknights/Monte/Interrior/FrontSeats2.jpg

------------------

'72 monte w SBC 'nuff said.