Made it in Hot Rod Mag, Kind of!!

dbreese

Some of ya'll know that I'm gonna do Hot Rod Mag's Drag Week III. They were nice enough to post a picture in the Drag Week section.

http://www.hotrod.com/upcomingevents/hdrp_2007_drag_week_rules_registration/photo_06.html

Heading up to Cordova, IL next Fri the kickoff on Sun then a whole week of racing. laugh

I'm gonna get lots of photos and video and will post it once I get back.

David

Thanks guys! I'll try to do ya'll proud.

Yea Kelly it's not really a drag car. It's mostly a street car that sees some strip time ( bracket and t&t). It's not fast compared to alot of the other members Montes eek.

I'm looking forward to some cooler weather and just getting away from work!! party

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well I survived shocked!!!! but not without incident. While heading up to Cordova, IL last Fri I was cut off by a ricer on I-65 south of B-ham, AL. I lost control of my truck/trailer combo and nearly overturned going down an embankment. One of the straps let loose and the car flipped on it's right side striking the fender of the trailer. This crushed some of the rocker trim and lower door trim mad. The right front wheel nearly came off of the trailer. My friend and I where very lucky that weren't hurt. We were able to get the tow rig back up to the emergency lane and get the car repositioned on the trailer. We strapped her down and continued on.

Rolled in to Cordova, IL on Sat and met up with some fellow racers. Tech was on Sunday and I made a couple of easy passes and the car felt good. Monday was the first race day at Cordova. Car ran great and ran low 12.7's the whole day. Leaving the tow rig behind and taking only what you could carry in your car we left Cordova and rolled to Union Grove, WI. The route that H/R made us take was about 200 miles and it rained the the whole time. Finally got to Union Grove at about 9:30 PM and crashed for the night. Got up the next morning and made it to the track and the car ran great. Low 12.7's again. Our group left the track after making 4 or so passes and were headed to the gas station to fill up. I looked out my rear view mirror and noticed oil smoke bellowing out the back of the Monte. Crap!!! Made it to the gas station, oil pressure was good. Shut the car off. Did some checking and found a small split in the oil line that runs to the gauge. Luck was on my side again. There was a NAPA store 1/2 block from the station. One of the guys went down there and got the last line kit they had. Installed the line added 1/2 qt of oil and back on the road again. 200 miles later we where in Kaukauhana (SP), WI. The drive there was awesome lots of back road two lane driving. Beautiful scenery!!! Next morning up early and headed out to WIR. Neat little track but had a gravel pit area. (Ouch). Car ran 12.7's again. 60' were good at 1.78. Our group made the passes and left for the longest haul yet. We traveled over 340 miles to Cedar Falls, IA. Everyone was beat. After dinner and a few cold ones we crashed for the night. Next morning we went to Cedar Falls Raceway. Car was consistent again. Made three passes but it felt like thr tranny was going away in third so I didn't want to push my luck. We packed up and headed back to Cordova for the final day on Fri. The drive wasn't bad only about 190 miles. Some interstate driving. Nothing like the sound of a s/b spinning @ 3600 going 75 mph cool!!. Got to Laclaire, IA just across the river from Cordova, IL. Had some time to relax hang out drink beer and eat pizza.

Next morning it was back to Cordova for the final day of racing. In the daily driver class the top 32 cars (based on avg et for the week) were matched up for a bracket final. I was thrilled just to finish the week but to my suprise I made the 32 car field (out of 77 cars in the dd class) I was # 32 lol. I was matched with a 2000 SS Camaro. I ended up getting beat first round by .0046 of a second shocked. BTW we were running off a Pro tree all week. Man ya got to be ready when the stage bulb comes on lol

It was an awesome week and there were several cars that were running high 7's and low 8's and 9's that made the same trip This included a 71 monte that was ripping off some of those mid 9's!!!!! cool

The H/R staff did a great job putting this event on. I can't wait for next year!!! Got to start saving gas money now.!!!!

BTW my buddy Rob took lots of great photos and vids as well as some in car camera stuff. I will post soon. If ya want to get a little look at some pics of the event go to the 1320.com drag site and click on 2007 Drag Week. There are even a few shots of my Monte.

Sorry to be so loooong winded!!!

Take care

David

Guest knightfan2691

Wow, David ... sounds like an exciting and eventful time wink.

Sorry about the accident, but glad you had a good time anyway. And, sorry I missed you ... what route did you take up to WI?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I want to see the world before I die" ... Dan Seals ... 'Big Wheels In The Moonlight'

Glad you had a good time...scary story about the monte though.

Your car seems very consistent, it's doing "it's" part...now to work on "your" part, the reaction time... lol

Bill

Hey Cort,

To be honest I'll have to look at the route maps they gave us. It's all kinda of a blur as to the roads we took. BTW I love the weather up that way. No humidity lol!!! Now I'm back home and having to get use to it!!!!

Yep Bill, I have a hard enough time leaving on a sportsman tree much less a pro tree lol!!! I'll have to work on it for next year.

David

David---nice adventure, like "Two-Lane Blacktop", right?? Nice looking car. First time saw your car at the NMCOA Convention in Nashville about 5 yrs ago. Killer looking car. I was just starting the work on mine. I, too, am '72 Gulf Green with matching vinyl top. Am 2nd owner for the car. Great loloking car. Good luck with the racing.....

Way to go Dave. Sorry about the accident. I've always said if I ever get cut off again, I'll just drive into the guy. The idiots always escape and you wreck your car avoiding them. Instinct will probably make you avoid the guy, but it's worth a shot. ;o) Nice times for your car. Hope the stint on it's side didn't hurt the paint too much. Enjoying the 1320 link but can't find the part you said to look for.

Thanks for posting the pic's Robyn!! You can see the damage on the right side of the the Monte. Good news is that my body guy said the door itself had minimal damage and could be fixed fairly easily without a repaint for the door. Thank goodness I saved the original door/rocker trim pieces. I should have it back to looking presentable soon.

That wheels up shot of that Monte is awesome. That car hauls big time and ran in the deep 9's all week. The picture of the GTO belongs to a new friend I made during the week. That car is so cool and fast. I want to say he ran a high 11 during the tour. The last shot was Camaro that took me out in the finals on Fri by .0046. laugh

I hope to have some video up as soon as my buddy has time to download and e-mail it to me.

David

David it sounds as if you had a an awesome time(minus the idiot ricer driver). It's my hope to somehow get into the Super Chevy magazine one day with my Monte. There is a lot of competition here in Virginia when they come to Dinwidle, but my buddies who go always tell me you would blow all other Monte's away there and most of the other cars as well. I don't see it, but next year I'll give it a shot.