Dynomax Ultra Flo exhaust

1972mc

I am still in the process of building my 72 w/ 400hp/ft lbs 383 stroker and purchased the ultra flo's. I have hedman elite ceramic coated headers, crossover pipes, and 2 1/2" pipes, 3.73 posi rear and turbo 350 tranny, holly 750 vac second carb. Have not installed mufflers yet as I'm concerned that the straight thru design will be really loud. My car will be more of a road car but also drag car and wanted the quietest muffler with the least hp robbing characteristics.

Did I get the wrong muffler for this requirment?

Should I have gotten flowmaster 50's?

Anybody know realistically how much 1/4 mile et would be affected by a quieter muffler?

Guest 72yellowmc

I have the flowtech mufflers they have a exhaust cut out that you just unbolt the inserts and viola you have a straight through muffler and yes it's quite a bit louder but with the insert in place they sound real nice on the streets, I've ran with the inserts in and with them out and with them out, it's about 2.5 - 3 tenths faster with them out.

Guest 72yellowmc
3 tenths faster with them out! That's A LOT!

Sounds like they are too restrictive with the inserts in....

No not really, my brother has the flowmaster exhaust, and when he unhooks his exhaust he pics up at least 2 tenths faster in the qtr. wink

3 tenths faster with them out! That's A LOT!

Sounds like they are too restrictive with the inserts in....

So many variables in how your car is set up, every car will respond differently to an uncorked exhaust...some may even go slower.

My "fairly" stock 402 with a 2 1/2" exhaust with thrush straight through mufflers ran a solid 2 tenths faster with "open" headers.

My 502 crate motor with a 3 1/2" exhaust and 40 series flowmasters runs a solid 1 tenth faster through an open Y-pipe in the collector extension.

Bill cool

P.S. Both my exhaust set-ups were to the rear bumper.

• 1 month later...

don't know if you ever got around to it, but I run twin dynomax ultra flows with my 350. it's not a real radical engine, but with full tail pipes out under the rear bumper, the exhaust is totally silent on the freeway.. and has a nice sound when I'm 'on it'

I run the ultra flow "hemi" style mufflers on my big block. I have hooker headers into a 3 inch X pipe. After the X pipe I reduce to 2 ½ with flowmaster venturi reducer cones and run into the mufflers. It is fairly quite at cruise and sounds good when you get on it.

Mike,

Any resonance with the x-pipe? All the cars I know that run 'em have a nasty resonance for 500 rpm at about 2000+. Granted they all ran Flowmaster 30's or louder. I think that had alot to do with it. I was planning on going with the Hemi turbo mufflers also (20" long). Let me know. TThanks.

Dan

No resonance issues here with a X pipe system from the folks at Torque Tech. Once again they specialize in GM "A" bodies. You get what you pay for. This is the best system for either a small, or big block car period. Great company to work with to boot.

No resonance issues here with a X pipe system from the folks at Torque Tech. Once again they specialize in GM "A" bodies. You get what you pay for. This is the best system for either a small, or big block car period. Great company to work with to boot.

I was planning on going with a 2.5" torque tech set-up also. What mufflers are you running?

PYPES makes a good set-up also but you are limited to their PYPES brand mufflers. Then I found Torque-Tech. Done.

Let me know the mufflers your running. Thanks.

Dan

that's what I am going to put on my 71, 3 1/2" pipe eekdevil

Sam, who's system are you gonna go with?

I have Torque Tech's system that fits very well... grin

I don't run an Xpipe. just reducers to 2-1/2" off the back of the headers, to my ultraFlow welded, 2-1/4" tail pipes over the axle and out under the bumper.

Guest Evil Austin

I have glasspacks on my 427 LUV truck, they were ratty when I put them on, now they are straight pipes. . . and mine were made by cherry bomb. If that is the sound you are looking for, yee haw ! Haha.

I am going to be installing some Flowmaster Super 44's on the monte within the next few weeks and I will see how they end up sounding. Personally I think the 50's are too quiet and restrictive at the same time. I would say regular 40' series mufflers would suffice. There is no true answer on horsepower though, it is all almost personal preference and car setup.

-EA