Wire harnesses??

Hey guys my wire harnesses have been tampered with. The guy I bought my off of said that he had paid a guy to put a used harness in but he never finished.. It all looks thrashed to me (especially under the hood). Do you guys recommend looking for a factory original or should I go after market? If after market is fine who makes the best? Please tell me your thoughts.   

Hey Ronald. 

I used m&h wiring harnesses for the engine and front lamps in my 70 SS. Fit great and all the correct connectors. 

I will use all their harnesses when I'm up to it in my 71 402 4 speed resto. 

I'm in the process of rewiring my car now. I used an American Auto Wire kit 50336. I researched them, M&H and Painless before I settled on this one. Main reason is my car is going to have updated electronics, Fuel Injection, electronic trans control etc. This harness is more suited to that type of build, but it's also a little more work as it does require you to terminate a fair amount of the wires yourself. The good point is, you can run the wires a little more to your liking if desired. So far, I'm happy with that choice and the couple of times I called their tech support, they were great to deal with.

If strictly looking to replace what you have in kind, The M&H like Tom mentioned would be a good choice. They have a pretty extensive catalog online that lists just about everything you could possibly need to replace either complete harnesses, or a single circuit/wire at a time like for accessories etc.

Just a note, with the AAW kit, you'll lose a couple of things in the process, if they're important to you. Things like the key minder buzzer, TCS control and seat belt warning system aren't there. I'm sure they could be added fairly easy, but not really a deal breaker in my case.

Edited by jft69z
added the things you may lose.
  • Like 1

I used M H wiring for my entire car. It was great and fit just like the factory stuff did. The good part is you can just unplug the old and plug in the new as you move through the vehicle instead of building it all from scratch.

If you are going to use updated electronics then I recommend building it all from scratch with a kit like Joe mentioned. Takes a bit longer but you know exactly what you have and where everything goes. Plus the new fuses are nice along with extra circuits for things like an electric fuel pump and fan.

I also used the AAW 50336 kit. My harness had been cut and spliced many times over the years. I rewired the whole car  in a few days with no problems and I added a vintage A/C kit and updated radio.  

• Like 1