Throw me your ideas

jim's 70

I wanted to try to keep this on the down low...but I am too confused and need help. Here is the plan. I currently have a 72 454 with 65,000 miles. I plan on running the 268xe cam and performer 2.0 intake (because I already have them). I am planning on running an intercooled procharger D-1sc with around 8psi boost,,,for now. That probably won't be in the budget till fall/winter 08/09. Right now I plan on pulling the motor within the next month or so for a re-paint and clean up the engine compartment. I will be installing the cam at this point. I also would like to do heads which leads me to a mild rebuild. I am hoping to get away with just honing it. Since it will be apart, I might as well change pistions (as the snowball starts rolling) and if I am changing the pistions, why not the rods (gaining speed) and maybe consider the crank as well ( are we building a snowman yet?). Basically, I am trying to keep machine work to a minimum, but be strong enough for the procharger in the near future. The biggest item right now is the heads. I am looking more towards bolt on, pre-assembled since I really don't have the eye, time or patience for the finish work. Soooo, throw out your ideas and lets see where we go.

Thanks in advance

Jim

I believe it is, I haven't pulled it yet. The intake is probably the cheapest part of the whole deal, so if it needs to go, I guess i can dean with it lol.

Jim

If you dont plan on running a lot of RPMs I would go with an oval port set up... Car craft just did a test with a few sets of big block oval port heads. Edelbrock and trick flow were the cheapest yet made as much power as the more expensive heads. With the cam your running I think it would be the same story with you. They say in the article if they had more cam the other heads would have made more power.... Judging by what I read I would go with Trick Flow... They seem to be a little better than the Edelbrocks... Edelbrocks are 1800 and the Trick Flows are 2100.... On these tests with the oval port heads they peaked HP between 5500-6000 RPMs and peak torque was about 4000.

Just a thought smile

Tom

You can get a lot of power out of irons worked over a bit... Im gonna try to run a turbo on my worked over irons...

That intake is good till 5500 rpm. it's a good piece but a little dated. There are manifolds that flow better like the Performer RPM or the Air Gap RPM. But the manifold is easy to change. If your considering it, start watching e-bay now. There are always a few on there and being that their really not a "wear" item you can pick one up cheap.

I think you really need to consider that carb your running too...Time for something more appropriate.....lol.

Steve

I think you really need to consider that carb your running too...Time for something more appropriate.....lol.

Steve

The carb I have is great, best one ever made...hahahahaha I will worry about the carb once I figure out everything else.

Jim

Jim,

When you chose your piston & heads, keep the future supercharger in mind. A 72 454 engine should have had pretty low compression, but if you are looking for 8 psi boost on pump gas down the road, you want to stay with around 8:1 compression...

Also, with a supercharger it is highgly recommended to run forged pistons. Don't remember if the stock 454 pistons were forged back in 72, but I doubt it...

Supercharger Info

if it were me, I'd go rectangular port around 300-325 cc intake runner which would be fine on the street. Head-wise, you will want something with a thick casting because your cylinder pressure will be relatively high. I like AFR heads, and I've heard good things about Canfield heads from this forum. Also the Jegs brand heads are supposedly Canfields with the Jegs name embossed on them. You can get them and save a couple hundred bucks.

I have seen Brodix race-rite heads, and a friend also just bought some AFR heads for SBC, and the AFRs quality absolutely blew away the Brodix! I like Brodix too, but man, the AFRs were slick. The ports were unbelievably well machined.

Jim,

When you chose your piston & heads, keep the future supercharger in mind. A 72 454 engine should have had pretty low compression, but if you are looking for 8 psi boost on pump gas down the road, you want to stay with around 8:1 compression...

Also, with a supercharger it is highgly recommended to run forged pistons. Don't remember if the stock 454 pistons were forged back in 72, but I doubt it...

I agree with the forged parts...add a forged crank to that list, but at the level of hp you are going for Jim I think the forged crank is really not that necessary.

Andreas, 8:1 compression to run 8 psi of boost is more the limit of a roots style...with a intercooled Pro charger at 8 psi he could go as high as 10.5:1

This may seem high but check out their chart...this is a guide line and other things like iron or aluminum heads will be a factor also.

Bill

tech_chart.jpg