454 Headers

true blue

Just wondering if these will fit or if someone can recomend

the best fit, ceramic coated or stainless that will hold up good. 454 BB of course.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HOK%2D2455%2D1HKR&N=700+4294908216+4294908176+4294925080+4294840133+4294923429+4294839039+115&autoview=sku

Thanks TB

Those are the exact ones I have on my 502 motor.

One thing, they will hang low under the car as most "long tubes" do.

Bill I was looking at your site for a side picture to see how low they hang and could not find one frown Do you have one that shows exactly how low they hang?

Ian

Here's a view of them...you can see at the collector is where I have a collector extension that starts to angle the exhaust back up. The funny thing sticking out at an angle in that extension is a y-pipe cut-out.

Bill

img0017small2jz0.jpg

I just clicked on my cardomain page...looks like they changed the site around a bit, not sure I like how it looks... frown

Bill

Bill,

If I may ask what is that paint code on your car, or is it custom? Is that a GM color?

Reason I'm asking is I had a 73' years ago (my first car) that was Burgandy and it was pretty darn close to that...if I don't keep mine black I want to go with either that sort of color or the Dark Cherry Metallic from a 1995-96 Impala SS.

Bill,

If I may ask what is that paint code on your car, or is it custom? Is that a GM color?

It is a GM color...but my car no longer looks like that, picture was taken about 5 years ago and the photo was color enhanced...although that is how it looked back in 1983 when my Dad painted it.

We went from car dealer to car dealer looking for a color and when we found it we got the paint code off the dealer...it was so long ago I don't remember the code...sorry.

Bill

TB,

Based on my findings.

*Hookers will fit but may need to move proportioning valve (very close) and some have mentioned slight ding needed in one tube.

*Doug's headers pride themselves on fit. They say they have one to fit our application. Very good quality and I believe now owned by Pertronix.

*Sanderson Headers have a full length and a block hugger for our application. Held up my BB3 Blockhuggers 1 7/8" tubes to a friends 454 and fit looks beautiful. If their full length fits as well it is a nice option. My block huggers end just past fire wall and have an elbow attachment at collector to keep exhaust as tight to floor pan as a stock system.

*Patriot and Hedman shorties work really well but have a smaller tube diameter

Dan

Thanks Bill..I'll dig around and see if I can find that paint code.

Dan says...*Patriot and Hedman shorties work really well but have a smaller tube diameter

Here's a good look at a set of Hedman Ceramic Shorties installed on my 454 in my '72... monte-exhaust-and-suspention-2-005.jpg

monte-engine-005.jpg

No one and I mean no one has an application specific header for a FGMC. The above mentioned headers fit good. I have them on my 454/489 engine, but you will need to move your brake proportioning valve and a lot of people have to dimple one, or two primary tubes to clear the steering shaft. No two FGMC's are exactly alike. If you buy these and they don't clear your steering shaft you just wasted the money spent on the ceramic coat. Buy the same headers, but uncoated. Test fit them, make any necessary mods to them, and then send them off to be ceramic coated. Better to be safe than sorry. Also don't try the collapse the primary tube to clear your brake proportioner trick as it's ugly, burns up the valve, and restricts exhaust gas flow. Some idiot did that to my first set. Lost a customer for life and he was (did I mention was) one of the top speed shops in my area. Now because of this type of back alley work the guy is going out of business. He screwed a lot of people.

Yes, its a big block.

Found them (I think, don't have the car in front of me at the moment)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HED%2D66002&N=700+400143+300691+4294908216+4294840133+115&autoview=sku

Had a few gasket issues at first, blew them out twice, then switched to copper, no problems since.

I wish they made the Elite series in a longtube for a BB Monte. I've never had good luck with headers and the idea of a 3/8" thick flange is very appealing to me. I know Doug Thorley does, but I don't know of anyone here who's used them and I just can't see shelling out that kind of money right now to find out how well they fit. I'll just stick with manifolds for now I guess. Thanks.

Mike

Besides the fact that they are shorties, this would stop me.

"Not recommended for use with aluminum heads."

I noticed that also but I think they were possibly referring to this statement of theirs..."208 - Chevy 502 big block generation 6 engines with aluminum cylinder heads will have clearance problems on some applications. Bottom of header flanges may hit head bolts. Notching may be necessary."

Bill

I had to do that to my hookers

I had to do alot of grinding on my Hookers... frown

Their flange is so big and thick though I had no worry I was gonna take too much off...and I never had a leak, so all is well... smile

Bill