trans swap

Guest crazyirish71mc

Guest crazyirish71mc

Hi all, After a lot of life stuff i am back working, on my car again after a year, and i have a question. i just got a 700 r4 trans out of a 85' firebird.I am familier with the car and know that the trans is rebuilt and has roughly 10,000 miles on it.did anyone else get theres from a similer car, and were you able to use the shaft from the donating car , or do i need to get mine redone to fit? i have the shaft from the "bird" as well as the flywheel and converter. any info would be appreciated.

Someone (I think Tim) told me the front yoke off a TH350 would work and be stronger than the "bird" one...

Ian

like ian said if u used the shaft from the firebrid have a 350 yoke put on it, as the 350 is stronger. depening on the tail shaft of the trans it might not need to be cut i have to jack my up and double check some stuff today. i put a 700r4 in my 5 years ago and i think i had to move the crossmember back to the org. 350 holes as it had a 400 in it at the time.

FYI, Hemmings Muscle Machines April and May 2008 is running a tech article about swapping transmissions. They are using a Nova and a 200-4R but the information is great.

Bruce

With the 700r4 swap I'm doing now, the trans shop we deal with at work installed a valve in place of the plug in the valve body. Mine will lock up at a preset MPH, and no wiring is involved. The kit cost about $60 and he installed it for me. He uses it on all of the conversions they do.

What engine management system was in the firebird? basic carb? eletronic carb? efi? it's possible the 700 already has the hydraulic lock-up in it.

ok,, here's the thing with the torque converter.. you don't need a "kit" if you don't want one.. you will need the connector for the trans from the donor car if you can get it.

simply connect +12v to the wire and the lock up is on. to see which wire it is, you will need to drop the pan.. and just follow the wires.. one wire will go to ground, other will go to a switch maybe, and then the solonoid. if there are more then two wires, the other 2 wires can be 'gear indicators' (to tel lthe ecm when you are in 3rd or 4th) I'd reccomend you run it thru a brake switch at the minimum, and a toggle switch. some 700's only lock up in 3rd or 4th.. some will lock up in all 4 gears, it's nearly impossible to tell which is which w/o just trying it.

the kits to make it automatic are a nice way to go tho if you don't mind spending the money.

There are two different types. One works completely off Xmsn pressure when it is in overdrive. The other type works off of vacuum and also has a switch on the brake (cruise control switch). It will disengage any time you apply the brake.

Guest crazyirish71mc

i know that thw doner car was efi. i think this trans locks in fourth ifthat makes a difference? I will try to get all i can off the doner and see what i can come up with!

all 700r4's will lock in 4th.. most will lock in 3rd too..

some will lock in any gear.

if it was EFI then the TCC was computer controlled.. and you will want a kit if you want it automatic.. I like mine on a switch, cuz i hate a converter that keeps locking up around town.. makes the car very sluggish.