cant get my key out ignition!

bigscaht

I got my rebuilt tranny (th350) in to the car and got every thing hooked back up, Filled her with tranny fluid. Started the car up and she ran fine. Took it out for a road test, jus a few blocks, long blocks, got back home, checked for leaks found none, checked fluid level again and it was fine So now I cant get my key out of the ignition switch, its seems as if the ignition wont rotate all the way back to the lock position to allow removal of the key. Whats up with that? Its a coloum shifted th350 in a 72' monte...Help!!!

I always thought the best way to keep a thief from stealing your car is to leave the key in the ignition. Or even better, the key in the ignition and the window down.

There's no challenge there.

If you really want to get your car stolen, use a club. Those make the thief laugh. "Look at that, this guy thinks he can stop me with a club. I'll show him!" I would never use a club.

So don't worry about it. Consider it theft protection.

I have a car that has never had the key out of the ignition. The previous owner told me that if I ever took it out, I'd better have at least a half hour to get it back in.

Secondly, if a thief decides to joy ride your car, you wont have to replace all the stuff he breaks when he slide hammers your ignition switch.

Just do like my brother did and break the key off in the ignition, eek it takes a different key to unlock the doors and the trunk anyway, :rolleyes: my brothers 73 grandprix was like that for 10 or more years lol

As Stick was referring to. The gear selector is in Park, but igintion key will release when rod running from trans to steering column is adjusted correctly. This rod goes from steering column to a bracket and inturn attaches to trans shifter. The rod is adjustable at its connection to the bracket. Ed

thanks to all who offered advice, you are all hella cool!!!! Well It actually turned out to be the the shift linkage was out of adjustment, the funny hting was that with it out of adjustment, it moved thegear selector over to the point to where the word park still lined up with the lil red line...but yeah not its all workin fine guys!!!

• 6 months later...

I am having somewhat the same problem with my 1972. It has a TH350 with a floor shift. I cannot getthe key out of the ignition and also it will not start in park. I have to put it in Neutral, start it, then put it in park. When it is running in park the reverse lights on the back bumper are on also. I tried to adjust the linkage where the cable bolts to the shifter in the cab under the center counsel cover. No luck it seems to be in the right place to catch all the gear correctly. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks bones, could you tell me where to find that linkage? I already adjusted the linkage by the shifter on the floor under the counsel. I to see some stuff moving around near where the brake pedal on the bottom of the column when I shift it. There are 2 small screws holding a bracket which holds one or 2 switches maybe?

no, there is or should be more linkage that wear the shifter cable connects to the trans and goes to a cross shaft then to the steering collum (under the hood)

there is an arm coming out of the steering collum with a rod atatched, at the lower end of this rod is a pivot with a bolt for adjusting this linkage, loosen the bolt and push the rod all the way up and tighten, then see if the key will come out

if this linkage is missing, pull the arm coming out of the collum up, then see if the key comes out, some people (like me) have removed this linkage, mines basically a drag car

forgot, there is a easier way to check

from the drivers seat, grab the steering collum wear a regular collum shifter should be

twist counter-clockwise, see if the key comes out

then turn on the ign and see if the back-up lights went out

Ok, I turned the column where the column shifter would be (I have a floor one). It did the trick, the key came out and the car now starts in park. Now, do you have any idea what I do to cure this problem ofthe column moving? You are a lifa saver. I just registered to this site today because I brought my 7th monte carlo. I am now a lifer here. Thanks!

Your floor shifter is supposed to turn that column piece by itself. If it works when you urge the column a little more with your hands, then the floor shifter just isn't quite moving it far enough. You need to adjust the linkage described above to make it a bit longer.

If you look on the right side of this picture under the brake booster near the steering column you will see a silver rod, at the part that comes off of the transmission linkage there is an adjustment for the length of this rod.

Ian

firewall1.jpg