Trans swap

Guest lakerman

Guest lakerman

Does a 67 chevy t400 fit a 70MC? I was planning on having my stock 350, non turbo, original trans rebuilt & putting an eaton posi in the back, I have a 383 that i want to optimize the performance. i have an opportunity to get a t400 out of a 67 impala for cheap. would i be better off rebuilding my current trans or step up to the 400?? If the 67 trans is compatible, would there be any major mods needed? Thanks for your advice.

ok.. what do you mean by 'non turbo' ???

All 3 spd automatics for a 1st gen monte are "turbo" (short for Turbo Hydramtic, the company that built the transmissions before GM bought 'em out)

I'm gonna guess that you want your stock trans, the TH350 rebuilt.

The Th400 would fit fine, other then you will need a different driveshaft. The yokes are different, and the lengths are different. Leo Could hook you up with a new one.

but even for a 383, I think the TH400 is overkill, that's a Lot of extra weight and wasted h.p for a car that doesn't need it.

400's have a very high 'parasitic loss' (it takes a lot of h.p just to turn the transmission, before the power ever makes it to the rear wheels) compared to the Th350.. the 350 is also lighter.. and unless you plan on making more then 700 hp, a properly built TH350 will live behind that 383 JUUUUST fine.

Guest lakerman

thanks for the feedback. i took the car to a few local trans shops & 2 different guys got under the car & referred to it as a non turbo 350 trans, something about it being a base model transmission & i didn't have the "turbo 350" anyways your help is always appreciated, thanks

There is no such thing as a 'non turbo' 350

I would definately stay away from those trans shops!!!

yes, the TH350 is the base-model trans, but it's a TOUGH little bugger, especially if it's built right. There is no harm in using the 400. but it's just unnecessary for what you are trying to do.

my TH350 I rebuilt in shop class when I was in highschool.. it sat on a shelf in the shed for 6 years w/o oil.. I put it in the car, filled it with fluid.. and it worked!!

only mods it really had were and adjustable vacuum modulator and a spring replaced with a piece of broom handle :> and it would squak the tires going into 2nd no problem even with my sub-300hp pos :>

Guest lakerman

thanks again, will stick with original plan to rebuild current one after shopping around for a recommended shop. thanks again

Wait a minute!!!!! A base 350 2bbl in 1970 would have come with a POWERGLIDE if you didn't specifically order up a TH-350!! They also only got a 10 bolt rear. 1971 & up TH350 was the lightest duty trans available!

Quote:
Wait a minute!!!!! A base 350 2bbl in 1970 would have come with a POWERGLIDE if you didn't specifically order up a TH-350!! Theyt also only got a 10 bot rear. 1971 & up TH350 was the lightest duty trans available!

I think you hit the nail on the head! Pan gasket would show the difference. Powerglide behind a base model that makes alot of sense.

Wha!? monte's got powerglides? as a 'base option' !?

That doesn't make sense.. since the monte's were supposed to be luxury cars. But anything is possible I guess.

yes the 70 monte could have a powerglide and also have front drum brakes , i have never seen a factory correct 71 or 72 with a powerglide but it is possible

Leo

The big question is: How many forward gears do you have?

The 350 and 400 trans both have 3 forward gears.

The earlier powerglide has 2.

Near the gear shifter, the gear indicator window is different for the different trans.

Powerglide equiped cars have indicators that read: P R N D L

Cars with the TH350 or 400 read: P R N D D2 D1

I would be pretty uncommon for a Monte to have come with the 2-speed powerglide. At that point in time the powerglide was near the end of its production run, and was already being replaced by the TH350 which was introduced in 1968. Really there was no sense in Chevrolet using the older design powerglide at all except to deplete their stock of units that had already been made. It was generaly the smaller, less powerful cars that had 'em.

The way Leo explained it to me.. you could get a PowerGlide, but you had to ASK for it.. just like u could get a 1st gen with Front Drums if you wanted it.

I don't believe the powerglide was the 'base'option trans.

considering more montes were made WITH A/C then w/o.. I don't see a 2 spd trans being very popular smile

The powerglide was the base automatic trans in 1970 for a 350 2bbl car. It was the only engine a PG was available with in the monte's. The restoration packet from GM spells it out. If you did not specifically upgrade, the powerglide is what you got. You couldn't "downgrade" to it. It was a bit like ordering bucket seats, if you didn't also specifically order the console, the shifter came on the column, they didn't just automatically put them console & floor shifter in.

• 4 weeks later...

The difference would be noticed in the shifts. The P Glide would be a 2 speed and the TH 350 is a 3 speed. I have never seen a Monte with a Glide but it could be possible!!!!!!

Have you ever thought of a 700R4 with a lock up converter as an option? Or, are you trying to stay strictly stock? You get an extra gear and first gear is 3.06 in the 700R4 instead of 2.52 in the TH 350.

Thanks, Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reguardless of what you have now I'd consider the TH400. Early on in this post overkill was mentioned. There is no such thing as too stout of a transmission. If you are building a straight up mild 383 cruiser why would you even care about parasitic loss and weight when the trade off would 100% confidence in a tranny that can handle 900HP stock. The turbo 350 is a light duty tranny and just like a 700R4 requires some high dollar parts to survive in a performance application. Also if your long term performance goals are even higher than what they are now wouldn't it be smarter to put in one tranny and have it last no matter how many times you upgrade your engine. I say put in the TH400(built right the first time), buy a quality converter that is purpose built for your application(not an off the shelf converter), and enjoy. As always IMHO.