1970 Monte Carlo with non-factory 454

I'm contemplating buying a 1970 Monte Carlo with a non-factory added 454 and turbo 400 trans.  I wanted some opinions on the value being that it's not a numbers matching car.  Engine & trans were rebuilt 5000 miles ago, interior is excellent (has bench seat & column shifter) and supposedly there is no rust whatsoever.  However, the paint is a bit dull as body and paint was restored 20 years ago.  Asking price is $17,500....thoughts?

I'll assume it's not as ss, have you looked at car in person? How bad is the paint? Paint jobs can get expensive. How's the underside? Is it what you want and in your budget? May be worth that to someone and someone else might pass on it. There's a lot of variables when considering a car purchase.  Pictures would be nice too.

Shawn,

There is not nearly enough information here to give an honest opinion on this deal.  Steve is correct, a paint job can cost a bundle.  Even with a rebuild of the engine and transmission rebuild 5000 does not mean much unless we know the builder.  I could say I did a rebuild on my engine and transmission but that is not saying I knew what I was doing so a claim like that doesn't mean much without documentation.  

Pictures would help but not be the final deal maker or breaker.  I think seeing the car in person would go a long way deciding on a value.  Bottom line is it is impossible to give an assessment on the value based upon the information on what they have given you.

rov

I agree with all the above posts so I won’t repeat that but will add,if you don’t have a lot of mechanical experience then make sure you take someone with you that you trust, with mechanical experience. With you being a new member, welcome by the way- great group of people- we don’t have a “ history “ of posting with you. Don’t worry it will come. lol. So we can only make assumptions, you know what happens when you assume, be Leary when you go look at it and I hope that you’re impressed. If you need any help post up someone is probably on that can help. Good luck 👍