URGENT: Original Big Block Battery Cable Info Need

OK, so we got our battery cables from M&H and they were incorrect. Greg now needs to know the actual lengths of the positive & negative battery cables from someone who may still have their originals off their big block car.

We also need to know what the GM Part Numbers are on these original cables. The numbers in my assembly manual are for the Chevelle & not the Monte Carlo said the guy at M&H when he looked them up.

No pressure here wink , but I need this ASAP as M&H are going to try & rush the new order thru so I can receive them in time for the Eastern Meet.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Cap, I do not think there's a difference between the small/big block cables

on either the starter is in the same location

the negative may be a little shorter

I called 3 Chevy Dealreships & got 3 different answers confused I have spent so many hours on line & on the phone this week searching out original parts & their part numbers!

Hopfully, someone will be able to confirm if any of these is actually correct.

#1:

+: 8907029 40"

-: 12011371 30"

#2:

+: 8907030 45"

-: 12003646 25"

#3:

+: 12003646

-: 8907029

I need another monte that I can just modify it & then I won't have to worry about all this! :lol:

You got to be kidding me... eek

I litterly just picked up an "aftermarket" negative cable for my car today on the way home from work.

I will be going into the garage shortly to remove my original factory big block one (very corroded)... I noticed there was righting on it when I was trying to see what size it was...I will let you know what it says and how long it is in a little bit... smile

Bill

They say "timing is everything", Bill!

That is too funny!

Can you check out your positive cable too if it is still the original?

The Monte Gods must also be mad at you Capri,I can't believe they are messing up so much.I sent my two back last Mon.

This may or may not be a little help,My Monte is a 70 Small block.The Neg cable is 36" long, end to end and it grounds to the thermostat stud. The prt# is 8901443 JK .

I measured the POS cable that M&H sent me before I sent it back,seemed to be the correct lenth, just a broken 14 ga wire and it measured 46" end to end.

The part # on my 70 POS is 8901625 NH. I do beleive these are the original cables. Hope you can use a little of this info.

Terry

My positive wire was replaced a while back so it is not original.

My negative one measures 31 1/2" exactly overall (very end to very end) the measurement they give could maybe be mounting hole to mounting hole, I don't know.

The writing is worn and not that good now that I got it in my hand, it says..."copper clad aluminum". The numbers are the bad part unfortunately but it definately says..."8916...then maybe "112". Then definately "ES".

So heres the numbers together...8916112 ES

Sorry they were not as helpful as I first thought...even worse they don't match the numbers you listed... crazy

Bill

(sigh) Can someone explain how I am suppose to interpret this Assembly Manual??? My build sheet shows letter codes Tb TF in the battery cable box - I assume these are my letter codes for the cables......

I have different sections with battery cables and they all have diff part numbers....how do I know if its for Chevelle, Monte Carlo or El Camino??????

UPC T60 Sheet 12A-1: 1971 Chevrolet "A" Series 3975766

Model 13000 page 710 **supposedly these are Chevelle per the guy at M&H***

#8901932 cable asm-pos RPO LS5 & LS6

#8901866 cable asm-neg RPO LS5 & LS6

UPC 12 Sheet 12A-2: 1971 Chevrolet "A" Series 3975766

model: 13000 (v-8 engine) page 337

#8901623 battery cable pos

#8901636 battery cable neg

model: 13000 (v-8 engine) page 335

#8901931 battery cable pos

#8901865 battery cable neg

model: 13000 (v-8 engine) page 336

#8901861 battery cable pos was 8901623 & 8901625 cable

#8901865 battery cable neg 8901865-67 was 8901636-38

Capri,

According to the Chevy Parts Manual dated July 1972, the Negative cable is PN 8907027 and is 30" long. The Positive cable is PN 8907030 and is 45" long. The radiator hose strap is PN 399978 and it superseded PN 3981017. Hope this helps.

Rich.

That is helpful Rich - at least one of your part numbers matches one that one of the dealers gave me....perhaps I need to buy on of these Parts Manual Books for 1971.

So why are neither of those battery cable part numbers listed in my assembly manual???

Capri,

Mine is a cd rom of the a-body parts manual with a July 72 printing date. It lists all the a-body parts from 1964 1972. It's mindboggling how many variations there were for things. There are 24 different part numbers for neg cables (chevelle, elky & monte, 1964-1972) and 22 positive cables. For certain parts, the assy manual just can't list all the variations. I use the assy manual for how it goes together, along with the Fisher Body manual, the Chassis Service manual, the Chassis Overhaul manual and use my parts CD to verify the numbers.

This is why I make my own battery cables. some black 4ga welding cable from the local electrical supply place, a pair of 4ga lugs for the engine end, and a pair of top post connectors for the other end.

I do not crimp the lugs on, I fill the lug with solder, and while keeping it hot with the propane torch, plunge the wire in, and then let it solidify.... add a piece of shrink tubing.. and it's a very professional looking cable :>.. exactly the length I want it :>

I received my #2 set of "correct bat cables"today from M&H .

The pos is correct lenth and prt #8901625 NH as my buid sheet indicates, But The Neg lenth is too short and has the incorrect prt #.My original neg cable is 36 in long and the one they sent is 29 in.,barely reaches the alt brkt.The prt # they sent is 8901638 PF and mine is 8901443 JK.Whats going on ,this order can't be that difficult!! I'm going to wait until I replace the pos before I call them,just in case this one is defective like the last one.I'll try one more time with them to make it right before I give up and go postal. crazy

Capri,Hope this doesn't frighten you!! eeklol

• 3 months later...

Capri,

Did you eventually get the correct cables from M&H? If so, could you post the M&H catalog numbers that I would need order them for my '71 SS? After reading through this thread, it sounds like there was alot of confusion over what was correct, so if you finally got some cables from them that worked, I'd like to skip the confusion. smile

Thanks,

Jim

I have my invoice right here & yes they finally got them right.

Here is the info on my cables right off the 2nd invoice........

Quote:
#28955 should be made from print 08901933 and stamped with part #8901933TB

#22685 use print 08901867 for reference, make cable 31 inches long from center to center, secondary wire should be 11 inches long and cable should be stamped with part number 8901867TF

My original cables came with incorrect part numbers stamped ont hem & incorrect length. - Hope all this info helps you to receive the correct cables 1st time4 around! Greg says these cables fit very good.