Speaker cones

Are these for the front on a stereo dash? Hard to fit a modern speaker into that spot. Did you consider using Turnswitch.com replacement speakers? $90 a pair and they fit in the dash using the original brackets. If you are using an original radio they come in 10 ohms so you won't fry the transistor in the amplifier. They will also work for aftermarket radios with slightly reduced volume. They will sound better than re-coned speakers any day.

rotin

I can recommend what to look for and what to avoid in speakers:

Avoid oval speakers, they have a lot of distortion from the cone being twice the mass on the long sides.

These cone auto speakers are small and they have no problem reaching up into the midrange frequencies. There's no need for anything more than a two way design, a nice woofer and a single tweeter. IOW, a two way design. I love these "four way" speakers that have just a tiny silver dome as a tweeter next to a bigger tweeter but it's just for show.

Find a speaker set with an external crossover in a small box. It'll have the needed chokes, caps and resisters that tune and match the woofer and tweeter. The cheap stuff just has a cap for the tweeter. Unfortunately, this is only found with component speakers where the tweeter is separately mounted. To get around this, you can get a 6 x 9 adapter plate that takes a 6-1/2" round woofer and a tweeter mounted side by side. There's a handful of decent 4 x 6 plate speakers.

Find a speaker with a substantial tweeter in it. A one inch titanium, aluminum or soft dome. It should have a phase disc blocking the center of the dome. Avoid a Mylar dome.

A recent trend is to put two identical speakers side by side on a single plate. This causes all kinds of lobing at certain frequencies.

Magnets and voice coils. Like some things in life, bigger is better.

None of these speakers-even the big 6 x 9's, have any real bass. If you try to turn up the bass, you'll overload them and maybe blow them up. Get one of those compact powered sub cabinets you can hide away in the trunk. Then turn down the bass to the smaller speakers.

• Like 2

Any decent speaker is gonna want 100 watts. I don't know of any in dash radio that produces more than 15 watts or so, even if they claim 50.

There's some good compact amplifiers on the market, Alpine has a few.

4 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Any decent speaker is gonna want 100 watts. I don't know of any in dash radio that produces more than 15 watts or so, even if they claim 50.

There's some good compact amplifiers on the market, Alpine has a few.

I went with the Alpine compact amp...... LOVE IT !!!

Easy to follow diagrams and hides away nicely on the inside of the firewall. :)