I NEED A TRANS GURU!!!!

Sam (Bones)

I was getting ready to drop in the engine, and went to replace the front seal in the trans (turbo 400) when I got the seal out there is a fiber washer behind the seal. With all the front seals I've replaced in the past, I've never seen one of these washers before??? Wondering what it's for, I don't think it's a necessary, I want to make sure though. this is holding me from dropping in the big block

the trans was built for racing, I'll post a picture of it in a bit

well here's what's left of it, it was directly behind the front seal

enginezi2.jpg

I am no transmission expert by any means, but I wouldn't know what it would be for in that location. I've never seen one there either, but I haven't worked with many th400s, mainly th350s. I also checked my '71 chassis manual, and it doesn't show a washer there either.

Call Gordon at Atomic Transmissions in Villa Park, IL. Tell him George gave you his number. 630-832-1034. Great guy, Chevy gearhead. Can't get any better than that smile

Sam that looks like a thrust washer that is between the rear of the pump and the front drum assembly. I can't see any way that it could work its way up to that location.

I risked it and just popped in a new seal and hope for the best whistle

Just what I'd have done! lol Good luck.. how is the anticipation meter?

Item #7 in the exploded view is a fiber thrust washer. GM uses that type you can buy metal ones. I would bet that that some how got in there in error. I think you will be OK Sam.

Hours of searching! lol Sometimes I get lucky! On a serious note sometimes it depends on the search criteria.. I went with TH400 exploded view.

Rod