454 maximum bore

Denny

Hi ,looking for info ,I have a 70 ss 454 with rust pitting on cylinder walls .Can anyone tell me how far these blocks can safely be bored. Also any good updates for these motors appreciated.Debaeting rebuilding or going with a crate motor.

Hi HVAC tech, bet yer a busy guy this time of year.. Been doin a little work on  my Tempstar myself... anyway. I’m no expert on specs of cylinder boring on 454 but I think 🤔 it should be about 60 thousands max... I’m sure someone with a lot more expertise will answer correctly... 

There are numerous engines that are in the .040-.060 range for 489/496 builds. The best way to get this checked is to have your machine shop sonic check it for thickness, that’ll tell you just how much your casting can take, with taking into consideration possibly core shift.

• Like 2

Like others have said, .030-.060 is the norm. I have seen as much as .090-.100 overbore to some sonic checked blocks. Would I go that much on a street engine? Definitely not. 

Just as 70MC402 said, take it to a machine shop you trust and see what the pros have to say. 

If you're engine is numbers matching and you are building it stock you may have to do what is needed to keep the originality. Most likely the internal are worn or water damaged also. I would suggest a stroker rotating assy. Looks stock outside but adds cubic inches, torque and HP inherently. 

My 70 SS has a 496 now and I would not look back. Great combo. Just saying....

• Like 1