Remove door card

Yes, the covers are held on by clips/tabs that keep them in place. 

The door handle ones slide away from each other, but you need a small flat head screwdriver to push the tab just inside where the strap goes in.

The mirror one pops out, and the wire/knob piece is attached with a set screw on the backside of the cover. 

The mirror piece will come off with the door panel. That is the remote mirror knob holder. As said the mirror control knob is held in with a set screw but it look like your set screw came loose and the knob and cable are inside the door. Or the mirror was replaced with a non remote mirror. Let hope your cable just slid into the door. 

• Like 1

Hey Paul,

The hole below the mirror control is where the window crank goes, and your's looks like a manual crank window.... But it also looks like the toothed end of the shaft has been damaged ??? Loaded a photo for reference, hope it helps. 

There's a few threads on the site dedicated to side mirrors...... And a few members with just about any version you want for sale. 

lha6.jpg

That’s a great write up, covers it all. I’m  replacing the gasket on the drivers side mirror, but also installing one on the passenger side - pretty critical when you drive on the left side of the road! Cheers. 

Any tips on replacing a broken joystick? pretty sure The knob has broken off the remote mirror, you can see the stub in my photo. Let me guess - replace the whole unit!

• Haha 1

Yep I see it. I didn’t notice it before until I blew up the picture. You have to remove the set screw as said before pulling the panel. I’m sure you can replace it but finding it might be a problem without buying a complete mirror. Good thing, if your mirror is good you can get a junk mirror somewhere and steal the knob off of it. 

My knob is also missing but the mirror never moves, but is adjusted just right, so I just don't think about it.

Paul,

I found that Parts Place had the best prices for the matching passenger side mirror..... But the shipping these days is insane !!

There are a few members who are starting to clean out their garages on here, you might have some luck with them. 

Scott.

Great pictures of the clip. I think the locking clip part are all broken on mine so they can slide off easy.

I added some soft putty and they now stay in place.

Paul, 

Are you referring to the little "horseshoe" shaped wire that goes on behind the handle ?

If so, those things are pretty much universal, You should have no problem hunting some down where ever you get parts for "North American" cars..... Or at the local wreckers. ;)

Hi Larry,

I guess the last owner of my '70 must have discarded them.... I took all mine apart (front and back) so I could get inside the doors and align all of them, and there weren't any. 

Scott, My driver door card was a little wobbly, but the passenger one was tight. The difference was mostly  the self tapping screw missing from the driver door plate I mentioned earlier, but also I think the missing spring gives it a nice tension. For two bucks… the only downside is removing that cursed spring clip from the crank!

Anyhow, I now have a passenger mirror! Just have to figure out how to tighten the rear nut 

8F50173C-80E0-4C09-A233-08852A4435B5.thumb.jpeg.6cde814dce616a917d94ea3c8acd73ab.jpeg

• Like 1

quick one - should I add some sealant under the window gaskets? they are hardish plastic not rubber. Also, do you add weatherstrip adhesive to the door weatherstrip? only asking because the old weatherstrip I removed doesn't seem to have any, only held on by the clips.

The driver's door see a tad more use than the passenger's. ;)

Not a lot of room in those doors for that. 1/4" ratchet with lots of long extensions worked for me. (and a few words every time I dropped them in the door)

So your cranks don't have the plastic discs ?? I would think they'd be good for keeping the rubbing of the crank from doing damage to the panels..... 

As for adding sealant, that's pretty much up to the individual, but anything around moving parts might gum up the works. 

A "Shepard's Hook" tool works nicely on removing that clip, but there are special built tools as well. At least you don't have the same problem re installing it. 👍