Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo in which I installed a Custom Autosound USA 630 Radio. Besides being a radio, it also has a USB port. Wired the radio as per instructions. Radio works great. Problem comes when listening to a flash drive in the USB port. If I have the key turned to accessory position or turned forward in the ignition on position the flash drive will play music all day long. The instant you start the engine the flash drive locks up. This does not happen with the radio. I've even ran a power wire from the battery to the power supply for the radio & the flash drive still locks up the instant the engines started. 

Crazy I know. Autosounds No HELP. they won't even reply back. I thought for sure running 12 volts direct from battery would eliminate any potential feedback or voltage surge or voltage drop problem. 

You guys are some of the smartest & of course nobody knows these Montes better than club members so any thoughts? I will add that the car still uses the original alternator, voltage regulator set up.

Quick question, have you tried starting the car with the radio off or in the radio position, then switching to USB with it running? Ive seen sometimes in newer vehicles when starting and in USB play mode the USB goes out to lunch/missing. Switching to radio and then back to USB usually clears that. 

I have tried that, I've even gone from the USB being locked up to radio mode and the radio will play fine. There's something about the engine running that causes this. I got to thinking last night maybe it's a voltage drop or voltage increase messing things up so I think today I'll start the car, disconnect the positive post from battery & see if it'll play. 

The cars got or had a few other weird issues, it's almost to the point where I'm thinking of calling it "CHRISTINE". If you ever saw the movie you'd understand. If you haven't, you should check it out. 

I have no idea if this is related, but you said you have a few other strange issues and you didn't elaborate. How are your grounds? I triangulate grounds, aka the trifecta. A ground from the engine to the frame, a ground from the frame to body and one from the body to the engine. These are in addition the the factory grounds.   Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I'll 2nd what Tom said then, weird stuff on our old cars go back to basics on the flow chart, grounding and vacuum. I don't think its a vacuum issue tho lol 

Something I have seen on mine, and I don't know why, some files/songs on my USB will not play. I don't know if they are songs I burned from a CD or download, or something else. Never got to the point of making it to troubleshooting further 

I fried 4 bluetooth controllers and couldn't figure out why, changed the voltage regulator and hope that solves the problem. The original regulators have a wider range which I was told the new electronics can't handle the spike, with the electronic regulator you don't get the high spikes. Not sure if that helps or if you are still running the old style regulator.

Just to add to the head scratching confusion on the topic ran into this yesterday on my 2017 DD and no its not on my list of things to do or research further.

Was using an older USB 2.0 interface and tried changing it out to a new USB 3.0 interface flash drive. Vehicle did not recognize the new flash drive at all, in any of the ports, so went back to the older flash drive. Technology, gotta love it lol. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 1:43 PM, Scott S. said:

Sounds like a built in surge protector..... Keeps the files in the flash drive from being damaged. The "high end" drives have this. The ones you grab at the 7-11 counter don't. ;)

Scott, thought you might be on to something so I got a cheap flash drive. it did play for about 3 seconds which is 3 seconds longer than the expensive one would. Not sure if that should be a indicator to me of the problem or not. Next move is to check & double check grounds. 

How loose, or dirty is the port for the flash drive ?

I find that if I drive over bumps, my drive disconnects from the contacts in the port. (old stereo)

But I did noticed to odd disconnect/reboot until I crawled back under the dash to tighten up some wiring.......

Good luck with your "gremlin".