Windshield urethane...

Mike Brichta

My glass guy recommends the brutal 5/16th’s rope for our first gens or any of the older cars. When mine was installed 8 years ago they used the Urethane and my moldings around the rear glass do not fit the best but he said it could be the glass but more than likely it is the urethane

Belden Speed/Rust Replace uses Dow Betaseal, #9 on their site: https://www.rustreplace.com/home/1964-1972-chevelle/1968-72

OE used adhesive that is closer to urethane than butyl tape, the Fisher Body Service Manual says:

The windshield and back window on all styles are
bonded to body opening with a synthetic, self-curing,
rubber adhesive caulking compound.

Make sure that the moldings are on hand and ready to install when the glass is to be installed, so that it can be adjusted if needed. The glass should use rubber setting blocks during installation and a dry fit should be done to make sure that the moldings don't have a gap. Aftermarket glass doesn't necessarily have the same thickness or contour as OE glass.

I used to use 3M urethanes, but on this last Monte I used Dow Betaseal U418 Auto Glass Urethane & 5504G Primer. Worked fine with a good leverage manual caulk gun, though I have a Milwaukee 18V gun too. Nice stuff, I'd use it again.

Mike, I used the Belden speed site to do a little research, plus the factory manual & the glass install manuals below. I also got the foam dam tape from Belden for the install & have an extra roll if you need it.

I've used both the butyl and urethane in the past with good results, but also have seen a couple of vehicles come in with butyl and the window just about popped out by itself (my last Custom was one as well, about 30% of that window was loose).

Sika Training Manual.pdf Icarglass.pdf

Thanks Joe!  That is great info.  I didn't realize before that the factory used foam dam tape.  I've installed several windshields many years ago and just used the primer and Urethane to make the seal.  I never had any leaking issues and thought it came out pretty nice.  I will let you know if I decide to used the foam dam tape.  Thanks for the offer!

Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

Thanks Joe!  That is great info.  I didn't realize before that the factory used foam dam tape.  I've installed several windshields many years ago and just used the primer and Urethane to make the seal.  I never had any leaking issues and thought it came out pretty nice.  I will let you know if I decide to used the foam dam tape.  Thanks for the offer!

Mike

Same here Mike, I never used the foam tape in the past either. Truth be told, it's not really necessary if you apply the urethane properly, but it didn't hurt either.

The key is preparing the urethane applicator tip properly, and not drinking too much coffee first before trying to apply it 😁.

Lol. Yes I tend to get a little "shaky" when doing some of these projects because I don't want to mess them up. I also applied the Urethane to the channel instead of the glass in the past and just set the glass down on the Urethane.  Never thought of applying it to the glass.  I don't have suction cups that's why I didn't apply it to the glass.  That stuff is kind of messy if you get it smudged or messed up while installing.  Only want to do it once, right?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

Only want to do it once, right?

Yes!

I put the urethane on the glass, that ensures the entire window has sealant on it. Plus, that's how the glass installers I've watched do it. Get suction cups, a lot safer and easier to move the window around.

I picked these up after the old ones I had dried up and made me nervous to use them. Appears they're unavailable now, but a quick search should find a good alternative. These were something like $21.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T59QX6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1