Traction Bars

72MC

Questions are, are they worth the money? Do they really help that much? Looking at Comp Engineering or Lakewood. How much difference in performance are the traction bars vs the ladder bars? Thanks for the info. - Dave

Rear is tight right now. Current rear is BMR Fab. tubular arms. Just looking for a little extra. That is one reason I don't think I need ladder bars but would like to find the pros, cons of either of them. Ladder bars are harder to install, traction bars are easier.

I don't like traction bars for 4-link rears. They don't even bolt up formly as most clamp onto the coil spring.

Ladder bars completely change the suspension geometry and movement compared to a 4-link and in the process (so I'm told anyway) make it ride much more roughly.

I prefer lift bars which work WITH the rear suspension setup of a 4-link. They simply change the effective angle of rotation and the point that the force of the rear acts on the car.

The ones I like now are shown on THIS LINK.

They bolt in with no mods unlike the lakewood lift bars

4022.jpg

I have not used traction bars, but I can attest to how hard the ladders make the ride. Hit a bump coming out of the parking lot and the rear just bounced, no suspension travel... broke my steering wheel in the process frown . They did make it launch a lot harder though, with a lot less wheel spin...

Thanks guys for the responses. From your input and the input I have received from non board sources, it sounds like the verdict is this. Traction bars don't do much for 4 link cars. Lift bars, however, help out our cars the most. So again, thanks for your input. - Dave

It seems you have ruled out ladder bars as you should...bolt on ones are not that hard to install though...that being said I have two sets of Lakewood bars in my basement, one set used to be on my car and the other set I got for free...I don't think they will ever leave the basement... wink

Bill

lak-20460_w.jpg

Yea Bill, ladder bars were out from the beginning. I hook extremely good on the street right now. I was just thinking ahead to how the car might react on the strip. Line lock is installed and now to remove the rest of the a/c and off to the track I go. - Dave

why remove the A/C system? it's not robbing power unless it's turned on... as for saving weight.. with the exception of the compressor and it's brackets.. there's not much to be saved...

dave we don't need no a/c whistle from the look and the plan it sounds like you are after dave go with out the heater altogether since the water pump doesn't have the hose nipple. let me know when the el camino gets back on the books.