So Which Is It??…

Glen

Based on listings and sales the last few years, I find this Hagerty article less than realistic.

I’m keenly aware that several factors are to be considered regarding valuation parameters, but this assessment seems skewed.  I felt it was only proper to leave a comment referencing Monte Carlo sales at Mecum in May.

What say you gents?

https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/even-in-a-strong-market-some-cars-lost-ground-last-quarter/

Right before Carlisle I was researching insurance for my 71 SS. The quotes actually came back to me while I was at Carlisle. I wanted a 60,000 $ policy with Hagerty but they would only do 32,000 at a cost of 268 per year. I had my insurance guy get ahold of their underwriters and find out why. The same thing was said “ the value just isn’t there “. But they would do the 60 k but the cost is 576 per year. I held off to do more research. With the value I have seen for these cars going up, it didn’t make sense. Obviously we as a group are a bit biased, but Hagerty should be looking at the whole picture and not what they see in their auctions. The article was correct,imo, in stating that the Monte will never come out of the shadows of its big brother. So that will always hold the Monte down. 

• Like 3

I just don’t think they have enough comparable data to make a proper determination. If they are comparing current sales against Stan’s nearly perfect 70 SS that sold in early 2021 for $100k then, yeah, the sales can appear down slightly but the fact is that no car sold since then was as nice as Stan’s. There’s also the never titled 72 that sold in 2020 for over $100k but that’s a rare example too. The market didn’t go down, they just aren’t comparing apples to apples. There’s still cars not as nice as Stans getting up in the 90s so that tells me the market is still strong for these and may have continued to go up. It could be that after the two cars I mentioned above selling for over $100k , Hagerty overvalued 70-72 Montes in their 2021 charts based on that data and now they are showing a decrease bringing it down slightly to reality in 2022.

• Like 1