ready to go back to TH350!!!

kc8oye

with all the problems I've had with my 700r4.. even after being rebuilt.. I'm about ready to put my TH350 back in!!!

before it was rebuilt the 700r4 was ignornign the TV cable..

now that it's been rebuilt and got some miles on it.. it's ignoring the TV cable again...

it appears tho that the TV Valve is getting 'stuck'

it used to always shift VERY early, and very soft (in 4th gear by 25-30mph with light throttle) by 40-45mph at full throttle. hint: 700r4's should not shift into O.d _AT ALL_ at wot...

i pulled the cable super super tight (to the point I could only go about 3/4 throttle) it finally started shifting like it should.. or so thought...

now the valve is stuck at the other extreme.. I have to wind the car out to about 30mph to make it shift into 2nd..

that's ok with moderate throttle.. but not when I'm trying to 'idle' thru a 25mph residential zone!

not to mention you better be having both feet on the brake when you put it into gear!

It's a build issue not the tranny itself. Allan has my old 700R4 that has been thrashed almost 50 times on a chassis dyno behind a BB with almost 700HP and is still going strong. When it comes to the 700R4 you have to really know what you are doing to build one for performance and you have to commit to the cost of the high strength parts required to get one to hold up.

yeah.. I suspect there is somthing wrong with the valve body still.. the builder told me that someone had tried to install a shift kit before and didn't do it right, adn that's why it failed.

as for the lockup.. no ian.. it can't lock up at all unless I let it.. my lockup is controlled manually by a switch on the dash and a switch on the brake pedal

The first place I would check is at the carb. Depending on which carb you are running dedides if you need an adaptor. If required and you don't have an adaptor for the TV cable, it will never shift right. That will certainly cause premature xmsn failure.

david.. I'm using a holley carb.. with the holley cable bracket.. and a kickdown cable from BowTie overdrive transmissions (700r4 experts)

for a little while, I was using dave's 750 carb with the holley kickdown cable bracket for 700r4 and it wasn't any better.

the trans guy looked the setup over and said it was ok, and it's what was in the car when he installed the transmission.. so i'm pretty sure it's internal to the trans.

I can pull the TV cable all the way out, and lock it in place with vicegrips, and it will still shift like it's not hooked up.

As I stated before the tranny is not the problem. When properly built and installed a 700R4 will give years of trouble free service. Performance 700R4 transmissions are an art. Not something your typical local tranny shop is capable of, or wants to build. They only know stock and that's all they want to know as any time you talk performance work for anything you will never have as much profit as a stock build. That is if you are going to do the right thing and offer an iron clad warranty. When it comes to a performance 700R4 you get what you pay for. Same applies to anything. Reliable performance costs a lot of money.

You need to go surfing at the Bowtie website . Look around for the correct linkage which needs to be on the carburetor throttle shaft . ITs critical that the cable actuation be correct . Just using the Bowtie cable will not solve the problems . Bowtie , last time I was looking had kits for the popular Carbs as well as there cable and cable bracket.

i've got the correct linkage.. i even had all of holley's specific parts.. but you gusy are still missing the main point here..

it does not matter where the cable is adjusted.. too tight, too loose, not connected at all, the tranmission does not pay attention to it.

at least now the valve is stuck in a more usuable place! it's stuck somewhere around what would normally be about 1/4 throttle.. the 1-2 shift is kind of annoying in heavy traffic, but it's better then having to manually shift all the time to avoid being in o.d by 25 mph!

• 1 month later...
Guest Orange Flame 72

I agree with you that the valve body itself seems to be the problem, assuming you have checked all other possibilities.

Why not just replace the valve body?

orangeFlame.. that's problaby what is going to happen once the warranty expires in march.

right now, the mechanics of the trans are fantastic.. it slams 2nd gear _HARD_ (which is what I wanted) 3rd is a little soft for my tastes, but that can be fixed.

it's not eating clutches, or burning the fluid.. it's just not auto shifting worth a darn.. so I'll let it be for now.

Guest Orange Flame 72

Ahhh...the Warranty smile

Probably best to leave it alone then wink

EDIT - but wait! If it is under warranty, why don't you let the shop take a shot at trying to make it right? You should not be expected to use a transmission that does not work correctly, but is still under warranty - that is what warranties are for, right?

That's why *I* am banging my head against the wall, because I Can't the guy at the trans shop that built it, that there is somthing wrong with the way it shifts!

he always has a reason why he can't go for a quick test drive with me.. which is really irritating.

the trans is plenty strong enough scott.. the shift kit he put it in it is fantasic.. but here's what I think happened...

he told me when he tore it apart that someone had tried to put a shift kit in it before, and botched it, that's why the trans lost 3rd and 4th in the 1st place.

I would assume that he disassembled and cleaned the valve body and then re-assembled it with his shift kit stuff... I'm wondering if who ever was in there before tried to install a 'shift reprogramming kit' and got it wrong and that's why the shift points are all over the place.

which is why I want to just get a new valve body. tho from what the guy at TCI told me... I Think that full manual, reverse pattern will be the way to go, but then I'll have to buy another ratchet shifter that works with reverse pattern :P~