12 bolt rear axle brake backing plates

Ok, Seen the prices of new backing plates for drum brakes. Really? I'm thinking about rear disc brakes for the " new " 12 bolt going in soon. Found a conversion from Summit, looks about what I want ( under $450). Thoughts on this ,or stay with drum brakes. The backing plates would be half of total price for disc brakes.

• Like 1

Sometimes the cheap route winds up costing you more in the long run. 

Will you need a "disc brake" master? Proportioning valve? Brake lines? Any fabrication? Things to consider.... 

• Like 3

The Baer & Wilwood rear disc brakes I put on my Monte & Z/28 were in the 4 figure range, each. Then the rest of the stuff as Tom mentioned. Would I do it again...Yes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 12 bolt posi in my 70 Monte and have left the rear drum brakes. I had to put a rotary vane vacuum pump because of a more radical camshaft. Car stops fine.

• Like 3

I left my brake system alone after the engine swap, but its not my DD nor is it hardly in traffic. Some things you can cheap out on, I wouldn't consider brakes being one of them, just my .02

• Like 3

• jft69z changed the title to 12 bolt rear axle brake backing plates

Inline Tube has a full rear disc brake kit , $535.00 ..... That's the route I'm going with. Pretty complete kit for the money. I'll install a '71 Corvette master cylinder. Should be good with that.