Too much trouble?

MADMAC

I've been trying to get my friend to let me get a 454 one of his Uncle wants to give him. It's a mid to late 70's block out of a truck. Is this a tall deck? What exactly is a tall deck? I've talked to guys who say stay away from truck Big Blocks. But I also talked to one guy at the local Pinks show, and he had a 71 Monte that ran 11's, with a truck motor. What should I do? He's thinking about selling it to me but I don't want a motor that I could never make perform. I don't have an unlimited budget(I'm still building a small block that I haven't barely touched, but that'll stop if I get that Big Block cause thats what I really wanted in the first place.)

I would go for the 454. It can be made to perform even with the peanut port heads. You can always do a swap to a better head later as funds allow. The flat top pistons in the late 454 motors really hold them back, compression is below 8 to 1.

There are truck motors like 454s that come from pickups and light trucks, and then there are the 366 and 427 tall deck truck motors that come in the large trucks. The tall deck truck motors are .400 taller. Standard deck is 9.8 from the crank centerline to the top of the cylinder (deck) the tall blocks are 10.2 to the top of the cylinder. If you find a complete tall deck motor one thing to look for is the double thermostat housing on the intake manifold. If you are just looking at a short block check out the water pump mounting bolt holes the top bolt on a standard deck block is about 3/8 of an inch to the top of the block on a tall block they are about 13/16 to the top of the block. I would check casting numbers to make sure.

You can build a killer stroker motor with a tall block, you can get a nice long connecting rod in it. I would not try to go bigger that 4.375 stroke in a stock GM tall block. I considered a tall block when I did my 505, but I was concerned about header clearance issues with the tall block (wider) add raised exhaust port performance heads and you can get into issues with headers. Tall blocks are great if you want to spend $$$. And stay away from the 366 big block truck motor. Great boat anchor real small bore.

Thanks guys. I was gonna try to go check it out this last weekend but I had a million things to do around the house. As soon as I get back from the Drags I'm gonna go check it out. Supposedly it has never been cracked open and is still running. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted. (Where can I find pictures of the double thermostats on the intake?)Thanks again.

I forgot to mention that my buddy wants to give me the 400 thats behind it as well. I think I've got him convinced on trading my SBC with a few odds and ends for the 454 and tranny. We'll see...

Mac,

If it has a 400 behind it, it is most likley a standard deck block. Most of the tall block truck motors had allisons behind them.

If you see a tall block intake with the double thermostat you will recognize it two round areas where the thermostats are and the hose outlet on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Ill always remember when a guy from up Goose creek valley put a 366 in a 78 chevy and i uttered: 'hmm looks like a big block, hmm smells like a big block, uses fuel like a big block, oh and it goes like a 6 cylinder!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was finally able to go and check out the "mystery" motor that I've been talking about. The air cleaner shows 7.4 liter, it's in front of a TH400 and it's only got one thermostat housing. I forgot my tape measure at the house to measure the water pump bolt hole location but I do beleive it's a straight forward 454 !!!

I tried getting it to crank over but the starters' no good. So this coming up weekend I'm gonna take a starter that I have laying around and try to fire her up. The motor and tranny are still installed so I wasn't able to check the cast numbers but I will as soon as I get a chance to cross reference everything.

The motors nothing to look at but I've made worse motors look nice so I'm not too worried about the way it looks right now.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the heads up Sam. I looked all around but couldn't see anything. The motors sat for a while and it's old and dirty of course, but when I go to pick it up this weekend I'll show you guys some video. Thats of course if it starts...

All right; well the deal is done. I finally convinced my friend to let me get it. I went out there yesterday and was able to get the motor to run. The block and tranny should be over here tommorrow.

And Sam, do I have to remove the head to see the cast numbers you showed in your picture? I still couldn't see them on the motor but they might just be covered with 30 years of gunk.

th_08FallNats049.jpg

I also have a chance to get a 454. My brother-n-law had it in his Chevelle years ago. Its been sitting and needs rebuilding, but I am trying to buy it from him and build it for my 72 Monte. I wish I would have started out with a big block, because if I would have made the same modifications to a big block that I have made with my small block, I would have a real monster by now.

I feel the same way about my "new" Big Block. I've had three motors in the Monte and they were all small blocks; but nobody ever wanted to give up their Big motors. So I finally have one but wish I hadn't put money into the others...

Well I got the motor and tranny home yesterday and it is a legit; non tall deck; 454. The heads aren't too great (peanut ports) but I'll make it work. The motors filthy but to my amazement it was super clean on the inside. Thanks for all the feedback from you guys ... I'm finally putting a Big Block in my Monte!!!

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.(Gonna go play with my new toy)

Congratulations! Belief me I know money can be an issue with this kind of project project, but please take your time, don't cut any corners to save money, and build it to the strength you will need for all your performance goals. To many folks throw engines together with the wrong combination of parts and are later disappointed with the performance and the fact they didn't hold up in the environment they were in. I'm not the expert here, but if you wan't I can put you in touch with someone who helped me pick the best combination of components to acheive my performance goal. This guy hit it right on the head. Good luck to you.

Congrats on the big block. My scrap guy came in the other day with a $75 big block core. Cast in the bottom was GM 6.0. A 366 boat anchor? Not really. The cranks are identical for a 396/402 and any 427. And it is forged. Plus the heads are big ovals with small valves. Easily fixed.

Given that the 72 402 car I bought from Jared needs rebuilt, a cheap GM forged crank does not hurt my feelings one bit.

Consider a 496 stroker kit if your pockets allow it. My 71 screams at all rpm ranges. I have a much nastier 496 in my Malibu that will scare the crap out of just about anyone. I got the whole forged kit for my Monte for less than $1500 shipped.

Andy