Correct Paint Question

FOUROHTOO

I am having my 70 Monte painted and i want it to be the original black cherry that it came with. Is there a paint supplier that has exact color for older cars?? Also, where does the color end and the black begin on top of the cowl and underneath on the rocker area?? My third and final question,for now anyway,is there a jig to locate the vynil top moldings for a car that had a aftermarket vynil?? Have the correct early 70 "halo" type moldings but want to locate them in exact spot.There was a lot of that type stuff available for the 68 camaro stripes and so forth i and wonder if you guys have seen anything like this...thanks for your help ..DOUG

Guest Patrickth

PPG Industries supplied the paint to the factory, glass too. You can easily find a ppg dealer local to you and they will have the catalog. I am trying to think where I used to buy my paint when I lived in Mountain View, but you should find it in the phone book.

Your vinyl top question is a bit different. I have seen two types. One with folded corners and one without. You can try placing the chrome on the top and see where it falls. You should get either vinyl going about two inches or so under the rear window and your corner chrome pieces running to where that after market vinyl went. I don't think it matters what original looked like by definition. It was aftermarket, so you have to match the trim chrome you have for it.

Guest Patrickth

Woops, reread your post. I have the chrome pieces if you are looking. I am not positive I want to sell them. I don't think they are perfect, but they are close enough for government work.

Its raining and windy. I don't want to go put them on the car to take a picture, but if you are interested, we could discuss further. I know of a place that restores such thing with amazing attention to detail if they are still in business. It is on Oregon though.

I worked for DuPont Automotive finishes for 25 years and recommend DuPont products. However, I first recommend letting your painter pick the supplier. If they love PPG and hate DuPont, the end result may reflect their personal preference and experience with that product.

As to EXACT match, nobody will know unless they have the master color standard panel and place it on the hood in direct daylight sun. Make sure they know what year the color is for and the code if you have it. I believe it is code 78 but GM reused the color code numbers in different years and reused the color names in different years and the same color was called different names in different car lines (Pont vs Chevy vs Buick vs Olds)

Hope this helps. Also check here:

Paint Codes

Bruce

THANKS ... I will take your advice and let the guy responible for the whole job buy the paint,if there is a problem then it is his problem... sound advice ..

I am a painter in a body shop and what Bruce said is 100% right.

Shops have thier paint supplier that they use and thier workers are familiar with. If you use thier products, you should get a warranty with the paint as well.

Good luck with it

To clarify my molding question.. my car had a aftermarket top with wrong aftermarket moldings.. i now have the correct early 70 halo type moldings and i want to place them correctly. thanks Doug

I have a black cherry 70 and it DID NOT come from the factory with black rockers. Some dark colors such as black cherry did not have black rockers.

I used RM Diamont paint for 1970 black cherry and it came out just dazzling and beautiful... Nothings better than Black Cherry on a monte!!!!(I'm a little biased)

16%20Kevin%20Wiles%20SC.jpg

Strangely enough my car, which was a late build 1970 model also came with vinyl top trim that goes to the windshield (as found on many late build 70's) but also came with under headlight chrome moldings (as found on many early 70's) The car was all original and owned by an older couple when it came into my family in 1985 so I have no reason to think it was altered.

Guy on Craigslist says he has a swivel bucket base out of a 70 monte... I know 73 up big montes had em and have heard two stories on the early one...some guys say they had em and some dont..anyone know for sure??? thanks doug