Stall speed of torque converter

Whons

Does anyone know the most accurate way to check the stall speed of the torque converter that's in the car. I've read about  brake stall and flash stall. I don't want to ruin the transmission. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Wayne 

No real "accurate" way other than what you already know. That's why manufacturers give you a "range". Like a 1800-2200, 2200-2500 stall, 3000-3500 etc. Depending on individual car set ups what a converter will actually stall at. 

Old school, before "high tech" converter manufacturers we used to install vega converters into th350s and 400s for a high stall converter. They would be like 1000rpm stall in a vega but 2500-3500 rpm stall behind a small block or big block.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

No real "accurate" way other than what you already know. That's why manufacturers give you a "range". Like a 1800-2200, 2200-2500 stall, 3000-3500 etc. Depending on individual car set ups what a converter will actually stall at. 

Old school, before "high tech" converter manufacturers we used to install vega converters into th350s and 400s for a high stall converter. They would be like 1000rpm stall in a vega but 2500-3500 rpm stall behind a small block or big block.  

I put a Vega converter in my 400 sb Monza, worked very well. 

• Like 4