72 Monte engine compartment colour

Canuck

The part of the fender you see from the engine compartment (that bolts to the top of the plastic inner fenders) is black in my 72 Monte. The black starts below the lip about 3/4 of an inch below fenter edge (hope my explanation makes sense. It appears to be original. I have seen others like this but a lot are painted body colour. My 70 was originally body colour from the factory. Was this just a 72 thing? Did it vary by factory?

333968623.jpg

I can't answer your question but I think it looks better this way. I find it hard to believe GM would spend the extra money to tape off that part of the fenders in a (non class A) area. Is it a sharp tape line or is there a fuzzy line? Perhaps a fixture held the fender in that area while it was sprayed. I think the fenders where sprayed in a different area at a different time back then. I could be wrong, I'll ask around.

Bruce

just a thought,

if you are thinking of redoing them anyway,scrap the paint off a small area that is not in eye sight all the time and see if your body color is amoung the mix.

i think they where painted the color of the car.

bob

Is it possible somewhere in time the ft clip was replaced, fenders were a different color than the body, someone taped the inner fenders off to eliminate over-spray and the line now there was the most convenient place to tape it off at. Heck, perhaps at the factory the fenders (I believe) were sprayed at a different place than the (Fisher Body) and the factory assembly line got out of sinc, so they had to spray them. Just guessing here.

Bruce

• 1 month later...