1970 Power Steering Pump Pulley Installation

NavyCPO

The early power steering pumps DO NOT have hollow threaded shafts on them and use a woodruff key.  They are still a tight fit and need a puller to remove.  I used a bearing puller to clamp the collar of the pulley and a balancer puller with bolts to fit the bearing puller and got the old pulley off easy peasey!  My Chrome Power steering pump arrived and the old brackets fit perfectly.  Now time to install the pulley.  I clamped the pump into my large shop vice, took off the nut on the shaft and tried to slide my pulley on to the shaft, ummmm no go.  I cleaned the pulley shaft hole with a wire brush to get all of the paint out since I repainted it while it was off and it's clean.  I tried to put the woodruff key into the pulley but it didn't want to fit in the groove.  I sanded it on both sides and along the back to try and get maybe .001 off of it but didn't want to make it loose in the groove on the shaft either.  I figured it was just a tight fit.  So I put the woodruff key back into the pulley and with a flashlight and my spectacles on I made sure the pulley slot was lining up with the key and took a plastic mallot and gave it a couple of sharp moderate blows and got the pulley to fit over the shaft partially but it drove out the woodruff key.  (Jesus I said, but I got lucky and found it right off, WHEW!) Since the shaft doesn't have internal threads you can't use the "Pulley Installation Tool" to easily install the pulley. (of course not)  I'm going to try to put the pump in the freezer in the morning and bring my torch over to heat the pulley core and see if that makes a difference and I can tap it on far enough to let the retaining nut push it the rest of the way in, but I'm also worried about stripping out the flimsy retaining nut.  They're not very thick and don't know if it could handle the stresses of pressing the pulley the rest of the way on.  I do have a small 6 ton bench press, but I saw the video where the guy pressed the pulley on improperly and shoved the shaft right through the pump case.

If any of you experienced mechanics out there have an old Indian Trick or Secret Method your willing to share, I'm all ears.  I can't imagine why Lares would manufacture a Brand New Power Steering Pump without drilling and tapping the pump shaft so that you can use modern day tooling to do the job.  Go Figure............

Well I guess you can use the nut to press on the pulley according to the Service Manual.  They don't give any detail on how to install the pulley.  (see attached)  I can't get the pulley to go on far enough to get any threads to protrude the the pulley hole.  Maybe I'll get some emery cloth after the pulley hole and try to open it up a bit more, maybe the cold approach will work.  Ideas?  Solutions?  Film at 11:00...............  You young fellas won't get that!  HA!

Pulley Install.JPG

I'd try the hot & cold approach you mentioned first. Not too many other good options with what they have provided you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jft69z said:

I'd try the hot & cold approach you mentioned first. Not too many other good options with what they have provided you.

Yea, I think this Lares pump must be made in China or something.  The shaft size and the woodruff key may be slightly oversized for my pulley.  I'm thinking the ones with the woodruff key are supposed to slide on to the shaft effortlessly at least enough until you can get the nut started and press it on the rest of the way with the nut while holding the pulley with my Handy Dandy Pulley Holder Tool!  Yes, New Tool Day!  LOL  I also bought a PS Pulley Puller/installer kit for future use.  I'm about to pull it out of the freezer, I hope it doesn't warm up too much from the walk to the shop from the freezer.  Fingers Crossed.....................

Shazaaam!  The HOT/COLD trick WORKED!!!!  After putting the PS Pump in the freezer for about 3 hrs and heating the pulley with MAP gas for about 45 seconds the pulley fairly easily slid over the woodruff key and onto the steering pump shaft enough that I could get about 3 threads started on the nut.  Using a strap wrench (cuz there is not enough clearance on the back side of the pulley and the pump to use my Handy Dandy new Pulley Holder tool! *#_*&#*&$&)*$)*&$@*&)(*_!@!!  )  The strap wrench worked to hold the pulley and the nut tightened to bottom out fairly easily.

Moral of this story?  Don't forget the FREEZER trick for items with a tight fit.  HOT/COLD works often!

• Like 7

Well after all that trouble getting the pulley installed on the shiny new chrome power steering pump, the damn thing wouldn't fit on my application.  Apparently the part that was supposed to fit 1970 Monte Carlo had the return line right in the center of the back side of the pump and was hitting the cylinder head and would not allow me to get the pump installed.  Had to pull off the pulley, take the brackets and pressure line (I installed the pressure line first because I could not get a wrench on it while in the car.  I disconnected the lines at the gear box and pulled them out with the pump when I took the old one off, easier that way) and box it up and return it to Rock Auto and ordered another pump that has the return line at the bottom of the pump so it will clear.  Gheeez.............I hate working on cars!!!!!!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

.............I hate working on cars!!!!!!  LOL

I say that ALL the time, but people think I'm joking. (I'm not).

It's always something that tests your patience, "two steps forward, three steps back".

Keep at it though, you'll eventually win in the end. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jft69z said:

It's always something that tests your patience, "two steps forward, three steps back".

I agree with you totally except for the win in the end. Lol. I never seem to win because there is always something else. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I agree with you totally except for the win in the end. Lol. I never seem to win because there is always something else. 

Win that battle, but not the war...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

I thought it was just me.   I can't seem to start a project without soon regretting it.  Add to that, I refuse to leave well enough alone....  When I buy a car I always say I'm going to enjoy it as is and not change a thing.  I should know better!

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, jft69z said:

Yes Sir!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad you got it all sorted out.  Sounded like quite the ordeal.  I'm just installing a Lares pump on mine and realizing that the return pipe on the Lares sits very close to the Steering shaft/rag joint.  When I compared the old pump (? brand) to the new Lares, the old pump's, return pipe bends to the right side of the engine bay away from the steering shaft.  Did you notice this on your setup or does the pipe on your pump bend towards the rag joint?