how hard is it to go from column to floor

Guest lemon

well... i love having floor shift... but as of now, my car is column... how hard is it to convert it to floor shift...

and if hard... how much does a place usually charge to put one in?

before this, i want to find out if i have a ss first though...

are you going with aftermarket or original console and shifter?

to change it all original and correctly is no quick job.

and its not going to be cheap .

you will need to weld brackets to the floor for the console and shifter.

you will have to change to a column 4 the floor shift .

wiring is different and much more.

im sure someone else will have some more advise.

bob

aftermarket floor shifters are pretty simple. *IF* the B&M comes with similar hardware to what my Hurst unit did, you won't have to re-wire anything as far the column goes.

my hurst unit provided an extra 'tab' that simply bolts onto the transmission (should be welded on), and that goes underneath the rest of the stock stuff. so your ign. lock, and steering wheel lock and park/nuetral switch all that good stuff should work just the same.. all you would need to do is drive the pin out that holds the column shifter lever on.

The original factory floor shifter worked in conjunction with the same column shift lock mechanism on the column which also pulls the spring loaded rope linked gear indicator needle. The shift collar that the column mounted shifter handle sticks out of is replaced with one without the handle or hole for it. This collar rotates as you move the floor mounted shifter just as it would if it were a column shifted car. This is the system that locks the trans in park when you remove the key and prevents removing the key when in anything but park.

All the same column shift linkages are still in use but there’s also the cable from the floor shifter to the transmission bracketry.

To make the swap to the floor shifter, you’d need the blank column collar and then completely disassemble the steering column to install it.

You could do the swap and re-use the collar with the hole after removing the shifter handle but it’d look pretty silly...

Of course, this is after you’ve done all the work on the floor shifter and console.

I had done this swap and used a Hurst V Matic shifter. Pretty sure I bolted in some kind of bracket for the console. Pretty sure it was like 1990. Pretty sure I had a mullet.

Duder, I did it in my 70. I bought seat track conversions off eBay, bought a couple of seat cores from the swap meet, hunted the four corners of the earth for a console and shifter. I made my own wiring for the reverse lights, neutral safety, and courtesy lights. I then reupholstered the seats, swapped out the column for no nub, replaced the carpet. If you do not have a donor car, it is an expensive royal pain in the butt. But it sure looks pretty.

Or drop a Hurst Quarter stick on the floor, pop the pin on the stock shifter, and be done.

51807_turtlepics_027.sized.jpg

Andy